overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 545   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Cleveland’s celebration of Oktoberfest dates to the mid 1800’s when German immigrants gathered at outdoor beer gardens like Haltnorth’s and Kindvater’s St. Clair Gardens. Our amber lager with rich malt flavor and noble hops honors Cleveland’s diverse cultural heritage.

ThisWangsChung's rating

ThisWangsChung (826) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - SEP 17, 2013
12 oz bottle into a pint glass. A: Pours a golden amber color. About two fingers of a fluffy, barely off-white head is featured. Retention is surprisingly good for a lager, and there’s plenty of lacing left behind, too. S: I’ve never had a marzen that seemed this juicy before. The aroma is more reminiscent of fruit punch (or perhaps a good apple cider) than it is the bready caramel sweetness typical of the style. The hops give off nice notes of grass, apricot, and peach. Aromatically, it’s probably as good as a marzen gets. T: A touch of the caramel-y sweetness does appear initially, but the real star of the show is how juicy it seems to be - and how much of that juiciness seems to come from the hop profile. Apricot, apple, peach, and pineapple make up the bulk of the flavors around the middle, with some bitter hoppiness finishing it off. M: It has a fairly light body, with a rather wet finish. Normally, I’d prefer a drier beer, but since the flavors are so good, I don’t care. Carbonation is middling, which I like. O: This is unusual. Why? Because it’s not a marzen I want to chug - it’s a marzen I want to savor. How Great Lakes crams so much fruity flavor into their lagers, I’ll never know. I’d put this up near the top of all the oktoberfest beers I’ve ever sampled. If my last review said I wouldn’t have minded getting a six pack of the beer in question (ST’s 2XRYE), then I’ll state in this I kind of wish I got a six pack instead of a single.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
rayy (44) - Ohio, USA - SEP 1, 2015
This years glbc o-fest is overatteuated-thin, boozy, no head retention. bitterness is ok, but hop aromatics are missing. Bought a 12-pack based on past experience. Big mistake.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
Cousin_Larry (643) - - AUG 29, 2015
Seriously Great Lakes, you should be ashamed to put your name on this beer. Tastes like flat Mad Dog but worse.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tmoreau (2994) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - AUG 29, 2015
Poured to an event shaker at the WCD Trade Expo 2015 in Chicago, showing a clear, amber color, with a presentable layer of soft white head foam that gradually diminished to a ring & film, with some spots of lacing on the glass. The nose was light caramel & toast, with a touch of sweetness. Medium bodied, with fair carbonation, the taste was similar notes as the aroma’s, adding a bit of crackery grain, and moderate hop bitterness. A decent fall fest offering.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Iphonephan (4626) - McLean, Virginia, USA - AUG 26, 2015
From a 12 oz bottle at home. Pours a clear copper with an off white head. Malty nose. Flavors of caramel and peach. Bit of hop zing in the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tia (1319) - Sandston, Virginia, USA - AUG 24, 2015
Tap from source. orangey golden with moderate oatmeal head and light lacing. Honey and light wheat with a lig ht citricness. Too wheat and grainy for my tastes. Very little hop character to balance. A little something oddly sweet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bvbunited (31) - Ohio, USA - AUG 5, 2015
This Oktoberfest fits perfectly with the rest of the Great Lakes family the beer has a great bronze color and the perfect balance of malts and hops. I would recommend this beer to anyone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dagimp (839) - Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 11, 2015
Let me say I’m not a huge fan of the style, so I’m probably not the best judge. However, I really like this beer. Not too boozey; easy to drink but with a good hefty body. Winner in my book.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beersammich (71) - Morgantown, West Virginia, USA - DEC 31, 2014
Tastes much like other Oktoberfest beers. Caramel, malts, and sweetness. This one has a small hint of alcohol. Probably my favorite of the Oktoberfest’s. I enjoyed this one. I had this from a bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Yinzerita (17) - - DEC 13, 2014
I prefer this over other oktoberfests ive had but there really isnt much to this. Good beer but nothing special.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
aumentm (452) - North Carolina, USA - NOV 23, 2014
I love this time of year and oktoberfest is the right beer at the right time. Its an amber lager with noble hops and malt to make it so special.