Great Leap Honey Ma

click to upload

Brewed by Great Leap Brewery
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Beijing, China

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.44/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
keg, regular
The Honey Ma Gold was the beer that Great Leap had in mind when we started brewing up the idea of Chinese craft beers.A gold ale infused with Sichuan peppercorn and shadong date honey. The honey ma was GLB’s first brew and still our proudest creation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mark_Eck (371) - - JUN 1, 2014
Draft. Pours a cloudy darker orange color. Aroma is honey. Taste is mildly sweet with honey and finishes with some herbs.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dreamflower (539) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - JUL 20, 2012
Aroma that reminds me of my mother’s honey almond shampoo when I was a kid - an aroma I love. Taste is good too. Sweet and refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
northropfrye (2081) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - JUL 15, 2012
I like the effort to use local ingredients here, but this was my least favourite from Great Leap. Still, not bad. Honey notes, but overall not too flavourful.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Oakes (12167) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 6, 2011
Cloudy dull tan. Thick head. The aroma is full of herbs - the assertive camphorish quality of Sichuan peppercorns (the ’ma’ in honey ma). Softish body, and definitely honey-sweet, again with that herbal character all over the palate. I think the spice brings a bit too much bitterness across the palate, but there are days when this beer is very appealing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beershine (5201) - The Sunshine State, Florida, USA - AUG 28, 2011
Draft @ brewpub. Radiant orange hue, thick tight stable head. Aroma is welcoming, curious, fresh, aromatic, with more flower and wildflower and floral herb than spiciness. Doesn’t smell like the peppercorn per se although it certainly is unique. Very soft palate and highly--too--drinkable. Probably drank at least a pint on every visit, one of my go-to GLBs and probably my favorite over all. The malt character is solid, fruity, and carries the happy herbal overtones. Rounded, nice body with total smoothness. Good body and strength. The herbal flavors are outstanding, well-integrated and fresh, never perfumy or overpowering. Honey is so subtle you’d never know it was there. Finishes off-dry, and moreish. A skillful balance.