overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
A collaboration ale. Brewers:Chuck Silva of Green Flash Brewing Co., San Diego, Jeff Bagby of Pizza Port Carlsbad, Carlsbad and Mitch Steele of Stone Brewing Co., San Diego

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ChazMania (642) - Pasadena, California, USA - FEB 20, 2011
Iíve been looking forward to this since I first heard about it. Poured into glass; aroma- very little to none which I find rather surprising, only faint molasses. Appearance is nice, really dark red/brown yet clear, not a trace of cloudiness. Taste is straight up good scotch ale, a little caramel and brown sugar with just a hint of bitter. The palate/finish is really quite smooth especially considering its an 8.8% beer. Overall nice and enjoyable but not a mind blower.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RSRIZZO (1847) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - FEB 19, 2011
12oz bottle poured into a Snifter at 48į. Color is a deep dark amber with good carbonation and a small head. Aroma of sugar, roasted malt and alcohol. Medium body with a smooth mouth feel. Taste is sweet with flavors caramel, brown sugar and candied fruit. In the after taste there is just a hint of bitterness and a warm alcohol feel. Overall its an ok brew, but a little too sugary for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bluejacket74 (1204) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - FEB 19, 2011
12 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear reddish/copper color with a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. The brew smells like brown sugar, caramel, dark bread and some dark fruit. Nice, malty aroma. Taste is similar to the aroma, but with the addition of some smoked malt, coffee and a bit of booze. Mouthfeel/body is medium, itís a little creamy and has moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, itís smooth and goes down easy enough. I think itís a solid brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 19, 2011
Bottle from Samís in Durham. Pours very dark clear amber with a surprisingly tiny beige head. Nose shows some mild bittering hops and a good deal of malt--biscuity, bready, and a bit creamy. Not much in the way of peat action. Really wanted to like this beer and canít say much bad about it... maybe its subtlety was lost on me, but it just came through as average and neither very fragrant nor largely flavorful for the style, which was especially surprising given its alcohol content. Underwhelming.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
after4ever (5929) - Brier, Washington, USA - FEB 19, 2011
12-oz. Crystal clear but insanely dark rubied amber. Loose tan head for a split second, falling away to a slim rim around the edge of the glass. Big dark roasty toasty caramel nose. Lots of brown bread and brown sugar in there as well. Creamy medium body, goes a bit watery in spots, definitely could use a little boost of carbonation. Brown bread, brown sugar, toast, caramel, and a bit of herbal hop (though very little) on the mid-palate. Mild bready, malty finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RedSox2004 (1139) - Pacific Palisades, California, USA - FEB 18, 2011
Clear burgundy brown with a medium tan head that dissipated quickly and left modest rings of lace. Solid malt, spices, and alcohol aromas are featured on the nose, with ripe dark fruit in the background. Flavors match, with lots of dark bread and a warming alcohol presence. Full bodied, medium body, and a pleasant sweetness throughout, start to finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
crackedmachine (464) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 17, 2011
Pours dark, translucent brown with a minimal tan head that quickly retreats to the edges of the glass. Earthy, sweet, slightly smoky aroma. Flavor is, of course, heavy on the malt with grain and caramel, but not overly sweet. There is a nice bite balancing the sweeter flavors. A very pleasant scotch ale, but it doesnít sufficiently stand out from others in the style to justify the price of a Stone collaboration.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BMan1113VR (7788) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 17, 2011
Bottle (with Chuck Silviaís writing on the back). Pours with a clear garnet body and a nice and lasting khaki head. Aromas of plums, brown sugar, persimmons, smoke (light/soft, not harsh or chemical), alcohol, raisins, light vinous, sweet, caramel, bready and grainy. Nice. Flavors are grainy, chocolate, cereal, dark fruits and brown sugar. Lingering alcohol and caramelization. Very soft. Creamy and soft mouthfeel. Nice, balanced, easy drinking and subtle for an 8.8% Scotch Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
talon1117 (1152) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 17, 2011
The pour is typical with a mostly clear mahogany color and a thin, pillowy, beige head which is mostly diminishing and leaves minimal lace. The nose is very bock like with lots of toasted bread, some almonds, caramels, and raisins. Flavor is similar, raisins, sweet and tasted caramels, light brown sugar, almond still, and some bread crust. The palate is thin and still bock-like?; medium, nearly lively, crisp, but lightly syrupy. The beer finishes average in length, still sweet with caramel, bready, nutty, and a faint herbal hop presence to keep from cloying sweetness. An interesting beer, very scary at its 8.8% ABV; it remarkably resembled a single strength bock from appearance through the finish. I completely expected a beer from Stone and PP to be powerful, rich, full given the style. But in turn, I was presented with a fairly mild restrained, drinkable, almost session-like German beer. Maybe I am just off tonight?? Maybe worth a try with some months under its belt?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 16, 2011
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2011 Original Rate:Bottle. Brownish/Burgundy. Fairly large, dense tan head that seems a bit too wet to adequately lace. Wow. this is the very first time that I do not smell anything at all when smelling a beer. Nothing. I tried starting with the glass far away from me and moving all the way to my nose, I did not notice any difference in smell whatsoever. Ok, so weirded out as I was..i went to my spice rack to see if I have completely lost my sense of smell..Bad news is..there is certainly something amiss with my sense of smell. Now, I did feel a little sick yesterday and this morning...but I just have a headache right now...my nose isnít stuffy at all..so, it looks like I am going to have to come back to this beer to give it a proper rating, at least aroma-wise...but Iím betting my sense of taste is fucked up too. This is not good. Ok. Yep. The strangest thing in the world. I only taste the bitterness. nothing else whatsoever. it tastes like medium-full bodied tonic water. Quite bitter actually...a hell of a lot more bitter than I would want in a scotch ale...then again, thatís all I am tasting right now...there could be a huge malt profile that is overbalancing the hop bitterness and apparently I wouldnít know. This is a very scary revelation. But, Iím going to rate it how Iím experiencing it right now, because I donít feel sick enough to have my sense of taste and smell be affected...and my spices are probably old anyway...and Iíll re-rate this beer another day (I will drink another beer in the fridge just to confirm that I have indeed lost my sense of smell and taste)...but since I cannot confirm this at the current time, I must rate this beer as it seems to me now. virtually no nose...and sensations of bitterness and warming alcohol but no flavor whatsoever. (and after reading the other reviews...some saying there was no hop character whatsoever but most just mentioning the sweet malty character with no mention of hops....itís making me think I am insane since the only thing I get is bitterness) I guess bitterness can be detected without the use of your nose...but why doesnít that apply to the sweetness as well (which most other reviews mentioned)? Strange. I guess Iíll have to buy another bottle to rate soon...and now Iím pissed because I was getting ready to open up a Old guardian Belgo and rip that shit apart in a rating, but now just wouldnít be fair, would it? Wait...no...I think now is probably the only time that beer is going to get a good score from me...yeah, definitely need to wait on that one. Now, Iím sure anyone reading this would think that it is not fair for me to rate this beer knowing that there are serious issues with both my sense of smell and my sense of taste...and to you I say.. I donít give a fuck...Iíll re-rate it, donít worry...but I paid for this beer for the sole purpose of rating it, and thatís just what Iíll do...in fact, now I have to pay for it twice, so fuck you. 5.4.5.3.13

Re-Rate w/ Sense of Taste and Smell: I work on Highway 78. I drive on it every day. Itís a piece of shit highway that always has traffic for absolutely no apparent reason. This beer pours a pretty rich, deep color of brown/red...thin whispy light tan swirlies on top. Malty nose, of caramelized sugar, molasses, and that type of thing as well as salty nut skins, honey-covered nuts, nuts..you know, nuts. Flavors are malty but without much distinction...nothing really stands out..just unassuming faceless maltiness of the nutty persuasion...and then a counterbalance of hoppiness and a slight alcoholic warmth. For a beer with Stoneís name on it, it remains fairly clean for what it is, but for something that brings the popular North County breweries together for a collaboration, I expect a hell of a lot more than this beer is delivering...thereís practically nothing about this beer that stands out much at all...it tastes like a decently malty, nutty ale of sorts..amber ale maybe..Scotch ale? I donít know. In any event, whereís the umph that Pizza Port and Green Flash like to deliver? Whereís the gross house character that Stone likes to deliver? Oh wait...thatís the best part about this beer...there is no Stone house character...I guess they lost the coin flip on whoís yeast to use...there is a god....not really though, and this beer is pretty boring.