overall

RATINGS: 1478   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
Golden naked oats mashed with dark crystal and robust roasted malts create a luscious black brew with a satin smooth finish. Layering UK Target hops in the boil adds a pleasant, earthy complexity while higher fermentation temperatures enhance the overall flavor with fruity esters. An old-world style, done the Green Flash way. Big, bold, flavorful and complex – Double Stout.

eczematic's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
eczematic (1322) - Adelaide, - MAY 10, 2012
my kind of stout - like coopers stout ramped up a few notches. fruity and tarry and bitter and thick, with a nice subtle leafy hop background, without the citric alcohol/cohumulone kick in the finish most US stouts go in for. the fruitiness is provided by the yeast not the hops - plums and pears rather than grapefruit and pine. it all hangs together and blends seamlessly in the mouth. lovely stuff, not trying too hard and not that complex but doing the basic stouty flavours really honestly and really really fantastically well. just lacking a really amazing 3D aroma. things are looking good this winter with this and black bear stout readily available round here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rouhlas (1092) - GREECE - JUL 26, 2015
355ml bottle. Black color with beige brown head. Roasted malty aroma, chocolate and coffee. Sweet and biter taste like aroma. Medium oily body with soft carbonation

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
youdictategood (410) - Florida, USA - JUL 17, 2015
Bottle. No detailed notes, entering from earlier tasting. Very good impy - really thick mouthfeel, nice balance of flavors.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Andrus86 (185) - Busselton, WA, AUSTRALIA - JUL 9, 2015
BOTTLE. (bottled on 23/9/12 drunk 8/7/15) Soft black to ruby colour with a small thick tan head.. Dark malts & molasses on the nose.. Thick dark & roasted malts, vegemite middle finishing with more burnt malts..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kevinsenn (1465) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 5, 2015
Bottle. Roasty aroma with a little cream. Roasty taste with molasses and a solid bittersweet balance. Nice impy.

Gorm (1701) - Sandnes, NORWAY - JUN 30, 2015
Sort farve med mørk beige skum. Lukt av sjokolade, kaffe, lakris, bek og vanilje. Smak av sjokolade, kaffe, lakris, og vanilje. Noe bitter sjokolade-avslutning. Import.

nilsas (2302) - Bryne, NORWAY - JUN 25, 2015

Lukt: Kaffe, bek, lakris og mørk sjokolade.
Utseende: Sort.
Skum/kullsyre: tynt brunt skum, heng langs kant.
Smak: Kaffe, lakris, sjokolade og vanilje.
Hvor: Kjøpt@Ales & Lagers, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Nydt@Lokal hjemme tasting med Gorm
Medium: Flaske@350ml, ABV@8,8%, Når@25.06.2015

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
revoltingblob (4) - Alberta, CANADA - JUN 14, 2015 does not count
Pour from bottle I got at Beer Mongers in Portland, Oregon 11 months ago. I bought this to age as an experiment to see if it’d get any better. Don’t remember the original fresh bottle I had so I really don’t know lol. Appearance is dark, licorice black with small head, little lacing. Nose is pretty subtle with some light malt, leather, alcohol, tobacco and a grassy other thing I can’t tell. Palate is light leather, with some subdued roasted chocolate coffee bits. Pretty nice balance. Still has good carbonation. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, really coats the mouth. A pretty nice beer all in all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
tapthis (168) - Baytown, Texas, USA - JUN 8, 2015
Tastes of oats, some coffee and chocolate. Poors black with good carbonation and lacing. Aromas of Coffee, roasted nuts/cereal, and chocolate. Alcohol is hidden for being 8.8%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jimthechap (2057) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 24, 2015
I usually start my reviews of stouts and imperial stouts by writing: I love stout, stouty stouty stout. I do this a number of times and I mean it every time. I love stout. Inky black, chocolatey, molasses and coffee based goodness. I do, I mean it and I fucking love it, I really, really do. If I could spoon it in bed at night... I might. Make me a stout and I’ll make you a review that warms the cockles of my heart and makes the reader either think ’this chap is on something’ or ’ he’s had a few’. In both cases, yes: I am on stout and yes, I’ve had a couple of stouts tonight and they’ve been brilliant now that the weather is chucking it down outside. Let’s get on to this one. You can’t see through it. It is black, as black as jet. There is no seeing through it and no shafts of light passing through the dimple of the glass. It is impenetrably black with an ugly skim of dirty brown head on top and a lace of said ugly brown head down the glass. It is perfectly black though and I love it for it. The aroma is of dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans and carob (I hate carob). There’s also a profile of juicy ripe plum and currants, vintage port... it has perfection written all over it. The body is quite full but has a good spritzy hail of fine carbonation on the tongue and twists of astringent goodness. This contributes to a lasting finish that offers prunes, plum sauce, molasses, pumpernickel. We have a profile of dark, rich flavours that are analogous to the very best exemplars of this style. I had a learned off-sider complain to me that it is the full-flavoured heavy hitting high alcohol beers that dominate the top echelons of rated beers. Well, this is why. Chemically flavour bonds to alcohol and, in my rather simplistic view, it is easier to brew more flavourful beers in high gravity ales that have more complex mash bills and hopping profiles. Age it in barrels, it is going to be more complex, it just is. Vive la difference!

MadRobin (2392) - Silver Spring, USA - MAY 23, 2015
Poured from 12 oz. bottle after extensive cellaring. Opaque, near black with a 2-finger brown head and very good lacing. Aroma of roasted coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt and vanilla. Taste of chocolate, roasted coffee, vanilla and dark roasted malt. Medium/full body and medium/high carbonization. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone