overall

RATINGS: 1537   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
Golden naked oats mashed with dark crystal and robust roasted malts create a luscious black brew with a satin smooth finish. Layering UK Target hops in the boil adds a pleasant, earthy complexity while higher fermentation temperatures enhance the overall flavor with fruity esters. An old-world style, done the Green Flash way. Big, bold, flavorful and complex Ė Double Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - DEC 8, 2013
Best-by 8/30/14. $2.99 single snagged up at Fairway Sav-Mor in Eastpointe, Michigan. Poured into a standard shaker pint glass. Appearance: Definition of black. Two fingers of a pretty dark tan head. A picture perfect beer after the pour... truly gorgeous. Seems to be a beer filled with floaters, as I can see a lot near the glass. My only knock on this is the lacing. Itís pretty good, but not great. Minor complaint. Smell: A pretty mild coffee and chocolate aroma at first, but as it warms, licorice comes out quite a bit. It smells sweeter as well. Roasted malts and coffee. I definitely feel like thereís more coffee in the smell than chocolate... but itís sort of like a mocha. I also trace alcohol, but itís VERY well hidden. Taste/feel: First thing I notice is a super rich mouthfeel thatís actually so thick, Iím not sure if I love it. Itís as if the thickness of the beer blocks out a bit of the flavor of the beer... but since I adore a thick mouthfeel on my stouts (who doesnít?), I donít mind that much at all, hence the score. It just feels like I want to drink more because of the thick feel, strangely enough. I keep wanting more flavor! Itís hard to pace myself. Anyway, this is a tasty beer. Semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, the roasted malts... really not picking up any of the dark fruits that I tend to get in a double stout, and thatís fine with me. 8.8% makes this a bit of a dangerous beer, as I truthfully get virtually no signs of alcohol. Thereís maybe an essence of it in the aroma, and thereís a very slight throat warming, but itís minuscule. Overall, I think this is a great beer. I believe this could be a better beer if the mouthfeel were actually a touch thinner so I could get more flavor out of the beer, but itís pretty incredible as it is. Iíd definitely buy it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rogueone (506) - I F&ckiní hate those guys from, Ohio, USA - JUL 28, 2008
So glad we are getting Green Flash distribution out here now. Bottle: Pours black with a tan, sticky head. Aroma is sweet chocolate malts and some caramel malt. Some coffee in the nose, and a little acetone. Flavor is burnt coffee and choclate, with an earthy quality I was not a HUGE fan of.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Maddog (506) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - MAR 13, 2011
Draft at Chappyís Taphouse. Wonderful beer, the pour is opaque with a nice tan head and aromas of dark chocolate. Flavors range from dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee to hints of vanilla. Nice and roasty with some serious flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hobsch (505) - Cologne, GERMANY - MAR 14, 2014
Bottle 0.33l. Pours almost black with beige brown head. Aroma has chocolate, liquorice, roasted malt, molasses, prunes, dried fruits. Taste is medium sweet, light bitter, roasted, milk chocolate, prunes. Aftertaste is quite bitter with chocolate , soft carbonation, bit boozy. Good but quite heavy and complex.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dragonfly1 (500) - Colorado, USA - JAN 21, 2012
Draft chef pauls. Snifter. Aroma is faint, nothing standing out. Taste is typical stout, some coffee, and dark chocolate. Hops finishing it off. I have to say that overall this seemed a bit non-descript to me, good beer but overall nothing that exciting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
larryLSB (497) - La Selva Beach, California, USA - JUL 20, 2008
Poured from 22 oz. bottle, thanks to Bulletrain76. Nice dark color, sweet taste with hints of chocolate and coffee. Full body with a nice texture and good finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Koskela (496) - Marysville, California, USA - JUL 22, 2012
Chocolatey and almost a bready aroma. A very full bodied dark brew with a little bit of a tan head. Very rich fulbodied chocolate taste with some coffee notes. Bitter aftertaste yet crisp. Very complex leaving my tounge bery busy. There is a slight alcohol feel in the after taste. A meal in a bottle. Not bad a very decent double stout minus the head. I was expecting a bit more and richer head but a good brew for sure. Worith a buy and a drink on a cold day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
petewhitley (492) - Nagoya, JAPAN - NOV 4, 2013
~This review was made some time ago via another application, and thus the specific details (beyond numerical scores) are no longer available~

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
ttroha (490) - Americus, Georgia, USA - SEP 27, 2014
Bottle from The Warehouse. Pours dark black with tan head that disappears quickly. Aroma of dark chocolate and roasted coffee. Tastes of dark fruits, chocolate, coffee and slightly bitter hops. Heavy bodied with minimal carbonation. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
badhack (489) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 11, 2014
Very, very dark brown. Thick and creamy from oats. Plenty of chocolate and toast, molasses, prunes. Some yeast on the nose and a recessed hops in the aroma and taste. Very interesting profile, well balanced and delicious.