overall

RATINGS: 1470   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
Golden naked oats mashed with dark crystal and robust roasted malts create a luscious black brew with a satin smooth finish. Layering UK Target hops in the boil adds a pleasant, earthy complexity while higher fermentation temperatures enhance the overall flavor with fruity esters. An old-world style, done the Green Flash way. Big, bold, flavorful and complex – Double Stout.

jnkor's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jnkor (326) - Tampa, Florida, USA - OCT 12, 2012
Pours a beautiful black with a caramel head, but a little too watery. Aroma is full of coffee and maybe cocoa with a slight sweetness. Taste is the same, but lacking sweet. Palate is a bit runny, but drinkable. The only way this could get better would be a little thicker and a little sweeter, but otherwise great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jimthechap (1997) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 24, 2015
I usually start my reviews of stouts and imperial stouts by writing: I love stout, stouty stouty stout. I do this a number of times and I mean it every time. I love stout. Inky black, chocolatey, molasses and coffee based goodness. I do, I mean it and I fucking love it, I really, really do. If I could spoon it in bed at night... I might. Make me a stout and I’ll make you a review that warms the cockles of my heart and makes the reader either think ’this chap is on something’ or ’ he’s had a few’. In both cases, yes: I am on stout and yes, I’ve had a couple of stouts tonight and they’ve been brilliant now that the weather is chucking it down outside. Let’s get on to this one. You can’t see through it. It is black, as black as jet. There is no seeing through it and no shafts of light passing through the dimple of the glass. It is impenetrably black with an ugly skim of dirty brown head on top and a lace of said ugly brown head down the glass. It is perfectly black though and I love it for it. The aroma is of dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans and carob (I hate carob). There’s also a profile of juicy ripe plum and currants, vintage port... it has perfection written all over it. The body is quite full but has a good spritzy hail of fine carbonation on the tongue and twists of astringent goodness. This contributes to a lasting finish that offers prunes, plum sauce, molasses, pumpernickel. We have a profile of dark, rich flavours that are analogous to the very best exemplars of this style. I had a learned off-sider complain to me that it is the full-flavoured heavy hitting high alcohol beers that dominate the top echelons of rated beers. Well, this is why. Chemically flavour bonds to alcohol and, in my rather simplistic view, it is easier to brew more flavourful beers in high gravity ales that have more complex mash bills and hopping profiles. Age it in barrels, it is going to be more complex, it just is. Vive la difference!

MadRobin (2293) - Silver Spring, USA - MAY 23, 2015
Poured from 12 oz. bottle after extensive cellaring. Opaque, near black with a 2-finger brown head and very good lacing. Aroma of roasted coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt and vanilla. Taste of chocolate, roasted coffee, vanilla and dark roasted malt. Medium/full body and medium/high carbonization. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rdixon77 (1441) - Georgia, USA - MAY 18, 2015
Solid stout all the way. Dark black pour. Chocolate, char, and vanilla. Taste was pretty big with booze heat, but nice milk chocolate and smokiness as well. Full bodied as appropriate. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GJF (1351) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - MAY 14, 2015
A pitch black beer with a lazing brown head. Aroma is sweet malty combined with notes of chocolate and a light note of burnt malt. The flavor is sweet with notes of malt, chocolate, and roasted malt, leading to a bitter chocolaty finish. Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
alex_leit (218) - Minsk, BELARUS - MAY 8, 2015
355 ml bottle. Black color whith tan foam. Aroma: hop, coffee and roasted barley, raisins and prunes, a little oxidation and brandy. Taste: powerful, buttery, roasted and hop bitterness, solid malt body, over-dried prunes, coffee, dark chocolate, brandy. Good.

Iznogud (1318) - CROATIA - MAY 1, 2015
Bottle 355 ml from Za Popen’t, Ljubljana. Pours dark brown with brown head. Roasted malts, chocolate, sweet with bitter finish. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
allmyvinyl (5760) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAY 1, 2015
355ml bottle from alesela. Pours black with a thin tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate, coffee, vanilla. Taste is more coffee, earthy, chocolate. Medium body, smooth texture, sweet finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
tsd08460 (131) - Marshall, Virginia, USA - APR 29, 2015
Aroma: molasses, vanilla, roasty, smoke, Appearance: black, clear, huge brown head Taste: medium sweetness, medium bitterness, Palate: medium body, creamy, soft carbonation, long finish, Excellent

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ArmyDO (7) - fayetteville, North Carolina, USA - APR 18, 2015 does not count
Bought as a single bottle. Great black ale. A little too bitter for my taste but I prefer cream stouts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TedBell (16) - Utah, USA - APR 17, 2015
Pours a dark brown with minimal lacing on the glass. Roasted malt aroma. Bitter chocolate and coffee flavors. Dry finish. Very enjoyable.