Green Man Kill Devil Rum Barrel Stout

Green Man Kill Devil Rum Barrel Stout
     click to upload

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.47/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Imperial Stout aged in rum barrels.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beernovice39 (3125) - Montana, USA - MAY 10, 2011
Draft at Green Man. Brown/black pour with a thin tan head. Scent is dark sugar, rum and roasted malts. Taste is caramel, rum and wood. Little boozy for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
raszputini (71) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 13, 2011
I love the Green Man Russian Imperial that this starts from. Its your typical big, high gravity, chocolatey Imperial. Its one of my favorite Green Man products. I also typically love barrel-aged stouts, so this should be an automatic winner. That said, I like this beer, but dont LOVE it. I actually prefer the basic Imperial Stout over this one. I just dont enjoy the bourbon tones in this one. Maybe its the type of bourbon, or maybe the level of aging, but the bourbon tone just doesnt match up well with this stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NachlamSie (2764) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 16, 2010
Goblet from tap at Dirty Jacks. Hmm. I cant remember having a rum barrel aged stout before. Rum is probably my least favorite spirit, but I was interested. Im glad I bit the bait because this actually worked out really well. The traditional molasses and oak character of rum is apparent and makes sense with the brown sugar and woody flavors of a stout. There is enough beer flavor from the hearty malts to provide some depth. The end result is a sweet and savory brew without any excess sugariness or vanilla flavor. The body is nice and round. I really enjoyed it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - DEC 14, 2010
Draught at the Dirty Jacks location. Pours amber black with thin khaki head. The aroma is obvious rum and brown sugar, some roasted notes and alcohol. The flavor is intense rum with a little bit of spicy malt and a hint of caramel. Mostly rum, though; it is very overstated.