overall

RATINGS: 391   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 19, 2001
’Revisited A Favorite’ Grimbergen Tripel ale pours a medium bodied clear but slightly dark amber color, the head a light beige, which dissipates rather quickly leaving a sheet of lace upon the chalice. Upon the pour, a brandyish aroma is noticed quickly, the aroma is spectacular I must admit. Hints of fruit and malt are also noticed, the start is sweet, the middle a mixture of citrus tartness and the malt sweetness, that finishes, wine dry and some what astringent. I noticed little hop presence, although I know its there the complex aroma of malts, fruity esters, seem to hide the hops. Carbonation is moderate to high and crisp, and the dry finish adds much to the palate of this beer. At 9.0 percent ABV and a 20 or so IBU, this beer is sneakily potent, as there is no alcohol related bitterness, just a nice warm feeling in the ’tummy’.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
weide5599 (48) - NETHERLANDS - MAR 11, 2001

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
macguy (146) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - NOV 3, 2004
If I gave top marks, I’d be afraid that the monks would get lazy and stop trying to make it better. This is an amazing beer. I found it at the Leon Pub in Tallahassee and drank it was my regular order there for a year. Then I went to Antwerp and drank it fresh. I’m basing my almost perfect rating on the "trucked to Antwerp, put on a boat, sploshed to New York, trucked to Florida, delivered to my bar, old and tired" Grimbergen tripel. The fresh stuff was twice as good. Alas, when I returned to Tallahassee and ordered a Grimbergen, I was devistated to learn that the publican was pouring out of the last keg he had and one of the handful still in the states. The Abbey has weighed in on the quantity vs. quality front and chosen quality. They have decided to forsake the golden goose of export and concentrate on brewing a superior beer. I guess that this means I’ll be back in Belgium sooner than I expected.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pablo McStouthead (69) - L.A, California, USA - DEC 28, 2001
This is the beer that got me hooked on Belgians. Get it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
crazyeye (1) - manalapan, New Jersey, USA - SEP 14, 2004 does not count
This was a wonderful beer. It turned me on to trappist ales, though none have reached the pinacle that this one did. Sweet but not cloying. The smoothness masks how strong this beer is.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
philbertk (1873) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 31, 2010
Alken-Maes S.A N.V. Br.--Grimbergen Abdijbier--Biere D’Abbaye Grimbergen Tripel--Triple--2009 33 cl. Bottle. 9.00% ABV--10 IBU’s.? (4.5 / 5.0) Belgian Ale--tripel--Thin foamy off white head. Mild lace clear rich amber burgundy color. Rich toffee raisin Belgian toasted ester front. Cloying mild sweet smooth toffee currant cherry malt smooth rich body. Cinnamon nutmeg hint mild spice balanced smooth end. Tasty off Tripel Dubbelish. Sampled 2/23/2009. 3 @ $2.00 Each.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nekronos (3603) - Xalapa, MEXICO - JAN 8, 2006
VEry nice, it is strong but with character, I like the colour like orange, and the foam is great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - APR 9, 2002
Yeastiness present throughout, while a honey and orange character provide an accompanying sweetness. Light astringency in the finish. Extremely versatile, excellent sipping beer but also dangerously refreshing. A night cap beer that would pair equally well with a citrus salad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ale Boy99 (19) - Twin Lake, Michigan, USA - AUG 12, 2002

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ogivlado (5402) - Zagreb, CROATIA - NOV 25, 2005
Bottled(330ml). –hazy golden with big white head, nice strong fruity notes(lemon, banana, apple) in aroma blended with spicy hints, mild acidic finish, very tasty beer