overall
Brewed by Grolsche Bierbrouwerij Ned. (SABMiller)
Style: Amber Ale
Boekelo, Netherlands

RATINGS: 315   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.65   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Amber coloured ale, highly drinkable with a slightly bitter taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
britab99 (65) - Kennesaw, Georgia, USA - MAY 4, 2000
Much smoother tasting than I expected. No bitterness and with quite a pleasant aftertaste. Overall a great beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jedimasternick (96) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 25, 2002
Underrated and unappreciated this beer is definitely Grolsch in taste and much better than most ambers or red ales.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
eetcafealgarve99 (12) - quarteira, PORTUGAL - JAN 4, 2003
one off the best ambers there is

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - OCT 20, 2003
I feel this is much better then the regular style. The color and flavor much improved. Not a "great" beer but not to shabby. Not bitter despite description.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MacDaddyOJake (274) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 18, 2005
A very drinkable beer, but a watery palate. Excellent copper color, with a smaller head. I found it quite delicious, all though I dont find it to finish as well as Newcastle, but they are a close comparison. I have to give the edge to Newcastle though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - SEP 14, 2002
Knocked back a few bottles of this while watching the Buckeyes kick the shit out of the Cougers this afternoon. Pleasant and fresh nose of dried fruit, flowers, spices and brown sugar. Pours a medium dark copper brown/ruddy red. The massive off white head is rocky and fully lasting. The excellent lace attatches to the sides of my glass in big hunks. The flavor was not as deep as I was anticipating. Starts sweet with a mild warm and spicy middle with no acidity. The finish was kind of weak. The soft and creamy medium body is light to medium with a finish that feels slightly alcoholic. A nice surprise for me. Great beer for the price.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 12, 2007
The aroma has toasty caramel and bread notes. The body is as close to true amber as any amber ale I have seen with an overall brown/orange hue that is transparent and bright. The head is very frothy, two fingers thic, white and lasting. The head sticks to the side of the glass in thick clumps that look like snow banks. Nice sweet malt fore is lightly caramel accented and has some faint toasted cereal grain notes. Lightly hopped with bitter-sweet finish. As amber ales goes this is a very well made one. I detect a little big brewer bias here as the mouthfeel seems spot on to me and it couldn’t look any better than it does.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
billb (244) - Kennesaw, Georgia, USA - MAY 30, 2000
Nice easy drinking beer. I’d take this over the Grolsch in the green bottles in a snap. Good beer to cool off the flames of some hot chicken wings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 4, 2002
Sort of a hybrid alt/bitter, with nice hoppage. Not bad at all, but certainly more of a beer to smoke cigars with than to drink alone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Winefly (60) - KEW, AUSTRALIA - FEB 13, 2004
WOW!..It was a revelation to me..Its was far better than my Guiness intro into the darker beers. I wished I had had this one before the other. I liked it very much and henceforth gave it a good rate. I love the Dutch beers more now. Great taste and it lasted for aeons..