overall
Brewed by Grolsche Bierbrouwerij Ned. (SABMiller)
Style: Premium Lager
Boekelo, Netherlands
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 1830   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.52   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The company’s best selling lager. Filtered and force-carbonated.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 19, 2002
Sharp and slightly bitter. Didn’t even get the cool flip-top with my bottle - dammit. So-so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
cathcacr (636) - Oregon, USA - JUN 16, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 9, 2008 Re-taste for summer and for purposes of competition with Heineken. This one is definitely more bitter and stronger to the palate, though somewhat more astringent on that basis. Heinie is what you want for the less challenging but smoother drinkability. Upgrade from 2.9; this is more akin to the classic German lagers like Warsteiner than it is to Heine.

Gets some points for at least trying to be interesting. I guess among macro-style lagers, it’s among the best I’ve tried, up there with Kingfisher at around a 3 out of 5. Sour aroma (grassy or piney in my case, not skunky) and a flavor that many a novice might find too overpowering, but not all too special for us nerds accustomed to Arrogant Bastard and such. Nonetheless, they managed to add some robustness to this at the factory, putting it noticeably above the normal class of swill. Still, the adjuncts come through prominently. From Holland, eh? This did manage to be noticeably less watery, pale and thin than Heineken. Whatever, it’s beer; drink up!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
argo0 (11666) - Washington DC, USA - JUN 15, 2002
Pale golden with decent head that dissolves rapidly. Pleasant sweet aroma. Taste is not offensive, but it’s rather bland. it has nothing to recommend it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bruno1378 (126) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 10, 2002
I guess I enjoyed this beer better than most on this board. The aroma did have a little kick, but I wouldn’t call it skunky. The hop flavor stands out, and I feel it to be a very drinkable beer, a subtle change from the everyday crap.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 9, 2002
Not too bad. Skunky, but nice bitter hop flavor that is enjoyable. A little too expensive for me, at least if it tastes like this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BruceLeroy (111) - North Dakota, USA - JUN 6, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2003 The bottle fucking kicks ass. Heineken with extra hops is my assessment. Pretty tasty and has a certain thickness that I was not expecting. Skunky, but not skunky in a nasty way. It's part of the flavor if you can believe that. Tastes like lots of cereal grains in this one. I know people who don't like it because of the skunkiness, but I don't particularily mind it at all. I'm sure it would be outstanding on a hot summer day. I would buy it again if it was about half the price it normally is. I like the stuff, but unfortunately won't buy it again because of the price. Ok, MAYBE I might try some again, but it sucks to pay so much for this! OVERPRICED! And a bit bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
sleepdirt (169) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JUN 5, 2002
Pretty good Euro-pils. Bit hoppier--with grassy notes. Still, it is refreshing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
malbert (105) - odense, DENMARK - JUN 4, 2002
despite from the bottle, i find this one a little to ordinary.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 2, 2002
Skunky, grassy smell. Straw colour, foamy head. Grassy taste, bitterness in the after taste. Good carbonation. Ordinary.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
pilsnerrogge (2538) - Finspång, SWEDEN - JUN 2, 2002
If it wasn’t for the pine needle-flavour in the finish this would have been an avarage lager.