Grumpy Troll British Bitter
     click to upload

Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 2.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.78   ABV: -
This beer is light and refreshing with a distinctive British hop bitterness at the finish

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Draft at the brewpub. Advertised as 45 IBUís. Poured a clear medium orange color with a hint of red. Head was thin and consisted of off white soap bubbles. Not much aroma other than a whiff of malty caramel. The beer was served cold and carbonated, so it certainly wasnít reminiscent of any of the bitters Iíve had in England. Too bad they didnít use their beer engine (which they have) to serve this from a cask. Dry on the tongue and a bit on the thin side with mild hop bitterness. There wasnít a whole lot of flavor other than some lightly toasted bread and subdued grassy hops. Not the best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 16, 2007
This beer was pleasant, but inoffensive, a bit boring, and not much to write home about. It was advertised as being fairly hoppy, and I didnít get that. I also didnít get the rather pronounced maltiness usually evident in "British IPAs." The beer was a hazy light amber with a little head. Aroma is pretty much non-existent. Flavor wasnít very pronounced, and wasnít very hoppy, but instead was a fairly refreshing copper metallic flavor. There was some very mild bitterness. I thought it was OK; Iíd weakly recommend it. I had this on tap at the brewpub.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brigadier (2880) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - SEP 14, 2007
On tap at brewpub

I saw this last time I was visiting but passed it up for the brown ale. This time I figured Iíd give it a shot. It has been a while since I have tried a bitter and I still am trying to avoid heavy imperial stouts/IIPAs. The Belgian IPA will have to wait for next time. I donít have many points of reference but it wasnít too bad. There is not much complexity but how many bitters are?

Aroma / Appearance - A one finger foamy head decorated the chilly beer. It was a cloudy bronze that I had plenty of time to look at as I waited for it to warm to a reasonable temperature. Chilled apple cider, sweet malts and cotton candy grace the nostrils along with fig leaves. It is airy and open.

Flavor / Palate - The bitterness is on par with that you would get from used tea leaves. It has a slighty hoppiness that pleases the senses but is not as aggressive as an IPA. The mouthfeel is thick for the style. A cedary aftertaste fades quickly. The hops get more evident as it hits room temperature but the beer as a whole declines. Itís a solid release depending on your expectations.