Grumpy Troll Saison De Fitz
     click to upload

Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Our late friend Tom Fitzpatrick was a good guy who made great beer. To honor our buddy, we have brewed up his award winning recipe Farmhouse Ale. Brewed with European malts, hops and a blend of yeasts. This is a traditional saison that Tom would want you to enjoy! Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brigadier (2975) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - SEP 5, 2013
On tap at the GTMW 2013
It has been far too long since I have had a chance to sample anything from Grumpy Troll. This sounded like a good start and so I swung by during the festival. A lull in the action was a perfect time to sample this great release. While I wouldn’t make a road trip for it if I were coming through Mount Horeb I’d pick up a pint.

Aroma / Appearance - The cloudy wheat colored base retains gentle layers of carbonation. Yeast, lemons, and barnyard textures smell like a grove of citrus trees after a rainstorm.

Flavor / Palate - Lemons, yeast, and barnyard drive a run of the mill saison. It is solid from start to finish. The hops carry the day mostly though the malts are also evident. If the day were longer I would have been back for others.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tmoreau (2424) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - AUG 12, 2013
Being aware of this excellent tribute, this was the first beer that I sought out on entering the GToM fest grounds. Thanked Mark, then sampled this fairly clear, golden brew, displaying some fluffy, white head foam, and wavy lacing. The nose was estery and lemony, soft malt, and light spiciness. There was some earthiness to the moderate hop bitterness, the taste presented a little tartness, light body, spritzy effervescence, and a somewhat dry finish. Maybe a little young at this point, but has good potential to mellow nicely. Here’s to you, Tom!