overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4873   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Dark "ruby" colored. Rocky head. The nitro carbonation adds a creaminess. Very dry finish. After about 50 pints in Ireland, this beer left an acidity in my stomach which made me stop drinking it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
IndianaRed (2865) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 23, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2004 I had to try this popular stout finally. My best analogy is like drinking a Halls mentholyptus cough drop. Prev review mentions "thin" I agree. I guess I am still learning why I like Porters more than stouts, in general. To strong.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
roder60 (1288) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 22, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2005 First few times I tried this beer I did not enjoy it and my ratings were rather low, but lately its been a pretty standard go to when I head out to the local bars for some brews. Just about every place has it which is nice, and it really isnt that bad. Dark roasted flavor that is nice and creamy with a good mouthfeel. Itíll get you by just like a girlfriend in high school Overall, pretty good.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
temporrari (389) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JAN 21, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2005 I canít say as Iíve ever had a worse stout. Is this a stout? How can it be? Itís so thin. Really, really thin. Where is the flavor? Like the guy before me said, overrated. I hate it. Serve a stout beer extra cold? What a joke.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Garrat (1309) - Suffolk, ENGLAND - JAN 19, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2008 If there is nothing else to drink,then this is ok.An under average stout but ok for a session.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
gumshoe106 (4) - morehead, Kentucky, USA - JAN 18, 2004 does not count
Guinness is life, life is guinness. millions of happy Irishmen since 1759 can't be wrong, you owe it to yourself to drink this stout!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
auto (163) - California, USA - JAN 17, 2004
very dark, nice looking. not as much flavor as i expected which left me with a bad overall impression..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jdog76 (85) - madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 16, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2004 Similar to many stouts. The only drawback is that it lacks body. Otherwise great flavor, could drink it all night

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
KarmanGhia (276) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 15, 2004
UPDATED: APR 11, 2005 This beer pours a beautiful blackness with a nice brown head from the nitrogen "pint" can. Coffee, dark chocolates, and breadiness are all prevalent. The subtle palate in quite nice, but it canít hold up after having consumed anything with hops. Oh yes, by the way, this beer is much better on tap.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
icanrate (22) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 13, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2004 Bottle. Pours a sort of thin but solidly colored black, with a really tightly woeven tan head that rises with the rest of the pour, rather than on it's own. Lots of nice lacing. Some sour smells, some roastiness and coffee, some sweetness. Some sour taste initially, followed by some roasty malts and coffee. A pretty good bitter finish. Okay, the creamy nitro head is kind of nice, but this beer has got quite a watery mouthfeel. The head is the creamiest before it actually settles. It's really not the most amazing beer, it's not bad either, but it's nothing to go apeshit over. No I didn't drink this extra cold or out of the bottle, it'd probably taste like even less if I did. For what it is, I'd say it's overpriced. Came with a solid bottle opener though. :rollseyes: But yet, here I sit, using the opener. Ha! Re-Rate, March 6, 2004: I just took two overall points and a flavor point off. I had this at a local bar, and I though, y'know, maybe this would be better on tap, but blah, this shit tasted more mono-flavored than I remembered. Just sour, and bitter, and not really a pleasing bitter either. Also a point off for costing flipping 7 dollars and something for a pint. Can you say WTF? Overpriced stylee right there. Quite regretable really, as the bar and the people themselves are fun, and that's probably one of the best beers they have there. Coors light, Molson, Alexander Keiths, Stella Artois, etc., abound! Good bar, bad beer.