overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5032   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rabuc (143) - carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 16, 2004
you have to drink this beer from the tap for cans or bottles don't do this brew justice.. this beer pours opaque black with tan, heavy head. aroma is of chocolate, burnt wood and hops. taste is dry, spicey chocolate, woody and finishes clean with mild bite. this used to be the only stout, not anymore. this is just an ok stout now that we have all the great micro-breweries!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
bmanLS (134) - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 15, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2004 I got a case of Guinness given to me and was very excited to try it as I never had it before. I couldn't wait to refrigate it so I just tapped one that was slighly chilled at about 68 degrees. It poured out dark black with a huge head and almost overflowed my glass. Please don't write me off when I tell you that this was the best feature about this beer. I don't know how this stout could possibly be rated at 84%. It is blan, flavorless, and flat. It is almost like drinking water with black food coloring added to it and all you can taste is the coloring. There are no hints of coffee, chocolate, carmel, burnt, sweet or otherwise. I thought maybe it was because it was not cold enough so I placed one in the refrig for the recommend 3 hours but it didn't help a bit. I have drank a lot of different stouts and this one is highly over rated and simply does not compare.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mephistefales (47) - USA - FEB 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2009 Aaaaaaaah. The best of the hugely popular beers. You donít need me to tell you how it tastes. Dig this -- There is a local movie theater chain here in Austin that has Guinness on tap! Life just doesnít get much better than that.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TBone (15622) - Pori, FINLAND - FEB 13, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2004 Tap
Perfect tanned creamy head and ebony colour. Coffee aroma. Taste is coffee aroma and roasted, even smoked malt filtered through cream head. Finishing very long with bitter and roasted mouthfeel. (7/5/9/5/18 4.4)
<iFRe-rated, nitro-can
Perfect Guinness outlook - benchmark for others. Quite weak chocolate aroma. Smooth, chocolaty, roasted and bitter, lacks a bit fullness of tapped version. (6/5/7/4/16 3.8) Re-rated, nitro-can
Looks good. Aroma slightly skunked. Taste balanced roasted with hoppy finish. (4/5/6/3/13 3.1)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 13, 2004
Sampled on tap. Black with a classic Guinness head. Mild aromas of coffee, toasted malts. The taste is of mild coffee, burnt toast and some chocolate. The lacing on the glass was terrific. The mouthfeel is quite thin. An o.k. macro stout but there are far better examples of the style

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 12, 2004
My first "real" beer still holds a place in my heart. Tastes of coffee and chocolate and burned malt. Watery thin with a bitter aftertaste. I don't have it much anymore, but it's still better than any other macro.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dreamboat (186) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - FEB 11, 2004
I don't mind a guinness, and given a choice of the megalagers or guinness, it will be the guinness for me every time. Despite that, I don't really think that I have developed a taste for it. I tend to find it quite acetic and tangy, but maybe it is because not enough gets served to keep the keg in a good fresh condition. Tehy brew it here in Australia under licence, so there is probably other factors than just the storage coming into it also.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
0o9i (439) - Reno, Nevada, USA - FEB 10, 2004
Timid toasty, roasted aroma. Beautiful creamy, off-white head and black liquid. Froth doesn't lace, but more or less coats the glass. Flavor is toasty and bitter and mild altogether; dry. Aftertaste lightly toasty then bitter with moderate duration. Palate is almost creamy, but more like watery. The beer is better on tap with a creamier palate(I've had it with stronger flavor as well) than out of a bottle or can, poured into a glass. Very drinkable, not very savory. Serve extra cold to drink extra fast with less flavor.

seantoledo (1) - USA - FEB 9, 2004 does not count
I have a very biased opinion of guinness, and it is a favorable one. I do not think there is a better beer out there for the price. With great head and distinctly smooth taste, Guinness tops the taste test in my book.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
andytothemax (16) - California, USA - FEB 8, 2004
It's great *looking*...now if only the taste matched up to the looks. Not enough carbonation. Comes across as malt/chocolatey-flavored water. I can't complain about the aroma or appearance, but it falls short of perfection.