overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4493   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Wilecat (66) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 27, 2002
Wow, I think this beer taste great for coming out of a bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
FastEddie (230) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - AUG 26, 2002
Still can’t figure out why in the hell people insist on serving this stuff ice-cold. I usually wait a few minutes til it reaches room temperature before inbibing. Usually available and always good, especially from a nitrogen tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 24, 2002
Those who know, Know!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - AUG 24, 2002
Certainly the best way to have Guinness is on tap. The flavor is simple and creamy. I won’t go on a rant about this beer, but I’ve really been enjoying this as of recent. Excellent in a black & tan with either Harp or Bass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
stormking (23) - Cuddy, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2002
I am so pleased that such a good beer is as widely available as it is. I am genuinely disappointed when I sit down in a restaurant and they don’t have Guinness on draft. You must witness the pour of a guinness. As it settles, it mesmerizes. (I especially like when the lass pouring puts a heart or shamrock on the amazingly light colored head. Coffee and chocolate flavors are apparent. I actually like the low alcohol content, because that means I get to drink more of it. Good with any food from appetizers to dessert. Just a great beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hoebag99 (4) - USA - AUG 23, 2002 does not count
Not as good as the stuff out of the tap in London. Still has that great character that is all about Guinness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
skortila (4343) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - AUG 23, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2004 However I favor belgian ales, this one sure is a good stout. Beutifull appearance, nice bitter taste. Palate is a big minus.
Rerate 13/3/2004; Nice aroma of roasted malts -coffee. Taste is strong coffee malty again, quite bitter and very dry. Very decent brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - AUG 22, 2002
Leather tarish aroma. It tastes medecine, tobacco and tar. A slightly bitter finish. It is special and get points for originality.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - AUG 22, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2003 This sure beats the hell out of the bottled draught. I have yet to find a beer that is quite as phenomenal in appearance as this beer. The gorgeous frothy white head and unique cascade of nitrogen on the side of the pint are really unbeatable. I am honestly not too big a fan of the flavor and palate on this beer (an almost average linear dry stout, with a slightly unpleasant bitter) but the "presentation," if you will, sure bumped up my overall impression.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - AUG 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2003 Good, but not great. I prefer the extra stout in a bottle. I can't seem to find a good pour of this on tap. Even my local pub that proclaims it has "the perfect pint" can't seem to pour me a glass of this or Bass without a bitter edge. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I'll try this in the bottle too.