overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5021   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - JAN 30, 2004
On Tap, Pug Mahons, Billings, MT. Pours like you would expect--massive very fine head that lasts forever. Very dark opaque brown, nose has maltiness with a hint of molasses. Body has good, full mouthfeel with chocolate, molasses, but oddly, a dry finish. To be honest, I hardly ever drink straight Guiness anymore--I almost always go with a Harp/Guiness or Bass/Guiness half-n-half.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Maxamillion (103) - Glendora, California, USA - JAN 30, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2004 Nice look! I love watching it pour with the little swirly action. Nice and creamy. The head just looks like a light layer of whip cream. Im not much of a stout person but that was pretty good. I will continue to drink Guinness.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
maitrix (2) - USA - JAN 29, 2004 does not count
The king of beers. Winter or summer, Guinness satisfies like food, while not being filling. When poured properly and at the right temperature, the head and finish are the best aspects of the beer. Also has less calories and gets you less drunk than most people expect out of what they term "motor oil." A highly-misunderstood stout in most circles, Guinness tastes best out of a well-maintained tap, next out of a can, and finally out of the widget bottle. Never say you enjoyed Guinness out of the old bottle.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
LtJudge (468) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 28, 2004
This stouts' pour was fun to watch.The nice tan going into dark,with one of the nicest heads.It has a good flavor to it(even though im not a huge stout fan)A nice slow drinkin brew

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 28, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 20, 2004 I'm not a guy who has never tasted another stout in his life besides this, but I still love Guinness. The nitrogen and creamy taste just does it. I spent my savings on this stuff my freshman year.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 28, 2004
UPDATED: APR 26, 2006 Iím having a hard time coming back to terms with this beer. This was my transition beer, from normal swill to craft beer and world brews. Iím a Canadian of irish descent, and on my trips to Ireland, especially the good pub nights with great atmosphere and company, it is hard to separate the beer from the experience, as they do blend in, especially as you look back. And I will always have a fondness for this beer as I picture my Dad and my relatives, all of whom have never touched anything but MolBat products in their lives, drinking pints of it at my wedding a few years ago. But the simple fact is that once you have developed a ďbeer palateĒ and recognized flavours and styles, you will find very little here. The pints of this I have had in Canada at pubs and in the can tend to be thin and watery, with no aroma to speak of and a finish that isnít so much bitter but sour. I still enjoy the presentation, no matter how manufactured, and when Iím watching some footie in the pub, Iím likely to order this over a Carlsberg or Canadian, but having tasted so many good beers of the world, especially good stouts (even irish ones like Oíharaís), I cannot justifiably rate this as high as I originally did when I joined ratebeer a few months ago.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
piscator34 (2261) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JAN 28, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2005 This used to be my absolute favorite pint. I donít like it quite as much now, but it still holds a special place in my heart/stomach. Just off black in appearance, with a substantial creamy head. A drying, burnt, "oaty" flavor. Iíd suggest having it at itís traditional (warmer) serving temperature. An "extra cold" Guinness is kind of a waste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - JAN 28, 2004
These ratings based on a Dublin pint! It can be great here on draught as well but it must be from a pub that sells a nice volume and at not at Budweiser temp.!! Guinness is the driest of the Irish Stouts with a definite roasted coffee flavor!Beamish is in the middle with Murphy's just a tad sweeter! Remember the category, "Dry Stout'if you want more outfront flavor and mouthfeel have an Oatmeal Stout! Also if enjoying Guinness on draft let it warm just a bit ,it was even too cold in Ireland.When in Dublin head to Mulligan's on Poolbeg St.and tell me it was not the best pint of the "Black Stuff " that you ever had!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ThomasE (5174) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 28, 2004
Looks great, nice aroma with hints of licourice. Taste is good, and the coffee flavor is dominating. Can be found in most pubs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DSully316 (5) - West Springfield, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 27, 2004 does not count
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2004 My favorite beer I've had thus far. Love the taste and look, the only thing better is the extra stout. Costs too much.