overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4859   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - JUL 12, 2003
Draft: Not a lot of aroma, but to be fair it was served far too cold. Black with a beautiful nitro head of tiny, tiny bubbles. Creamy mouthfeel. Not a huge amount flavor - some mild bitterness and some roastiness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LINKBREW (101) - Santee, California, USA - JUL 12, 2003
Desert island beer. Light enough to drink all day, but wnough flavors to stay interesting. Lightly sour tang, chocolate and roasty flavors. Dry bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
changxao (104) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 11, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2005 Chococoffee aroma/flavor. Nice color, and good head. Better on tap; the taste has definately changed since the American supplier moved to Canada. Still a pretty good mouthfeel and hop bitterness, is somewhat filling. Not the best stout out there by a long shot, but still pretty good. A decent mass produced beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
alimcb (23) - ENGLAND - JUL 11, 2003
Guinness has the unfortunate honour of being my "if all else fails" drink, which is a little unfair. A properly poured pint of the black stuff is better than most English beers, however, I have never tasted it in Ireland. Whether it's Northern Ireland or the Republic, I am told the Guinness over there is far better than in Britain. I really can't imagine anyone buying a can of Guinness in the USA really understanding what the beer is about. I only live 100 miles from Ireland but I feel I have to get on a ferry or aircraft before I'll really know what Guinness is all about.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
biomechanic (55) - Washington, USA - JUL 9, 2003
I've never had the opportunity to taste this one in Europe but I heard positive remarks. I have to say that is fairly good in bottles and better on tap.Needles to say, this is a classic and is the standart.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUL 8, 2003
I cannot believe I forgot to rate this one. I like stouts, I do not like Guiness, and in my opeinion, people who think that Guiness is the best, have never gotten out and tried anything else, and usually do not want to. This stout is extremely overrated, full bodied and burnt, the beer that eats like a meal. I hear that if you have it in the UK, though it is much better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
uvajed (174) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2003
I'm definitely a stout fan, and I have many favorites, but Guinness draught is still the standard. Not high in alcohol, but the flavor is a perfect balance of chocolatey malts and a coffee-like bitterness. I keep hoping for something better, though this is just about as good as it gets. Bonus points for availabliity.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Steib (613) - Queen Creek, Arizona, USA - JUL 1, 2003
Draught in the bottle. Everything started out nice, good head, color, aroma. Then came the taste. Sorry, this is the second time I've had this beer and my taste and opinion hasn't changed. Very light, watery tasting. The aftertaste came out like tasting bacon. Just no character from this beer. Has an old coffee-like taste to it. Still, can't wait to try the original in Ireland.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bowen008 (134) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 1, 2003
Could be more intense. The beer is quite coffe, chocolate like. Filling and satisfying. I love the nitrogen bubbles. Drink with coconut pound cake.

haddon90 (1561) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - JUN 29, 2003
Deep black with a nice creamy head. Srong taste...kind of like coffee. I love having this beer....heavy and somewhat strong.