overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4891   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JUL 12, 2003
I've had it on tap in Dublin and other towns in Ireland and it really does taste better there. One hell of a beer, and suprisingly easy to drink once you get used to it. Points to a beer that can start its own style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rastacouere (6161) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 12, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2003 Tasted both in can and on tap. Tap is a little more amusing due to the show this brew executes for some minutes before being "all set up". Darker than a black coffee. Appealing white head with little tones of black and white in the middle. It smells... cofee ashes. Surprising thin feeling in mouth, fun to keep in mouth for a long time, flavors change to more and more bitter, mixes well with saliva. Yum Yum. As Smoosh points out, it's more a beer of appearance and occasion than actual flavors. Never ordinary nonetheless.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - JUL 12, 2003
Draft: Not a lot of aroma, but to be fair it was served far too cold. Black with a beautiful nitro head of tiny, tiny bubbles. Creamy mouthfeel. Not a huge amount flavor - some mild bitterness and some roastiness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LINKBREW (101) - Santee, California, USA - JUL 12, 2003
Desert island beer. Light enough to drink all day, but wnough flavors to stay interesting. Lightly sour tang, chocolate and roasty flavors. Dry bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
changxao (104) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 11, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2005 Chococoffee aroma/flavor. Nice color, and good head. Better on tap; the taste has definately changed since the American supplier moved to Canada. Still a pretty good mouthfeel and hop bitterness, is somewhat filling. Not the best stout out there by a long shot, but still pretty good. A decent mass produced beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
alimcb (23) - ENGLAND - JUL 11, 2003
Guinness has the unfortunate honour of being my "if all else fails" drink, which is a little unfair. A properly poured pint of the black stuff is better than most English beers, however, I have never tasted it in Ireland. Whether it's Northern Ireland or the Republic, I am told the Guinness over there is far better than in Britain. I really can't imagine anyone buying a can of Guinness in the USA really understanding what the beer is about. I only live 100 miles from Ireland but I feel I have to get on a ferry or aircraft before I'll really know what Guinness is all about.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
biomechanic (55) - Washington, USA - JUL 9, 2003
I've never had the opportunity to taste this one in Europe but I heard positive remarks. I have to say that is fairly good in bottles and better on tap.Needles to say, this is a classic and is the standart.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUL 8, 2003
I cannot believe I forgot to rate this one. I like stouts, I do not like Guiness, and in my opeinion, people who think that Guiness is the best, have never gotten out and tried anything else, and usually do not want to. This stout is extremely overrated, full bodied and burnt, the beer that eats like a meal. I hear that if you have it in the UK, though it is much better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
uvajed (174) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2003
I'm definitely a stout fan, and I have many favorites, but Guinness draught is still the standard. Not high in alcohol, but the flavor is a perfect balance of chocolatey malts and a coffee-like bitterness. I keep hoping for something better, though this is just about as good as it gets. Bonus points for availabliity.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Steib (613) - Queen Creek, Arizona, USA - JUL 1, 2003
Draught in the bottle. Everything started out nice, good head, color, aroma. Then came the taste. Sorry, this is the second time I've had this beer and my taste and opinion hasn't changed. Very light, watery tasting. The aftertaste came out like tasting bacon. Just no character from this beer. Has an old coffee-like taste to it. Still, can't wait to try the original in Ireland.