overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4892   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - JUN 19, 2003
Boy this was good. Ive had it several times, but the one I'm rating was poured at the Four Provinces Irish Pub in Falls Church, VA (recipient of the Guinness Perfect Pint Award). I don't know how these guys do it but this was the best. I drink lots of stouts so I've always felt the Guinness was merely average, however this was not. Head was gorgeous and creamy thick. Body was black. Taste was smooth malt, slight hops, coffee and chocolate. My only criticism is a wateriness in the aftertaste. Overall, an excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUN 16, 2003
Guinness is always a hell of a good beer. No matter how many of the worlds best beers I consume, I continually find my way home to a Guinness.========== The Mouse on the Barroom Floor=== Some Guinness was spilt on the barroom floor, When the pub was shut for the night. Out of his hole crept a wee brown mouse & stood in the pale moonlight. He lapped up the frothy brew from the floor Then back on his haunches he sat and all night long you could hear him roar; "Bring on the god damn Cat!"

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
celogan (202) - Oroville, California, USA - JUN 15, 2003
Maybe I just don't like Stout. I drank this straight from the bottle as recommended. This had a watery mouth feel. Taste reminded me somewhat of bitter french roast. Under-carbonated for my taste. I just didn't enjoy it. I'd have to turn this down even if offered for free.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RichardWilding (201) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUN 15, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2004 This is an excellent beer. It has a roasty, coffee/chocolate flavour. Nice bitterness. An average stout, try some others, you will be pleased what you find when ecploring this style. Weak tasting from a can.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
maxwellplum (54) - USA - JUN 13, 2003
Too finicky on tap for me, but it has never disappointed out of the bottle. I'm more partial to the extra stout, but this is a sweetheart.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUN 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2004 Aroma smells of alcohol. Very very thick. Dark. Black. Dark black. The more you drink and the more familiar it tastes, the more comforting and soothing it is - especially if you are Irish. I recommend the can as opposed to the bottle because you get more - 14.9 as opposed to 11.2. However! There are only 4 of the cans and there are 6 of the bottles. So make your own decision, now you are informed!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ross (2128) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUN 12, 2003
a good dark beer, famous for a reason. nice creamy texture to it and possibly the best finish of any beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - JUN 7, 2003
Love the appearance of this old favorite...very dark, almost black, with a nice light tan, creamy head. Very creamy tasting head, roasty and rich, a little slight bitterness in the aftertaste. Something that has grown on me!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
juanito (5) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 7, 2003 does not count
I first tried this beer in Germany at the same time I sampled Kilkenny. Both are excellent brews. I found the quality of this beer to be good even when bottled.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mds (2250) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 7, 2003
I was hesitant to try this beer for quite some time. This is the first stout that I've tried, and I have to say that I am reasonably satisfied. First of all, it looks awesome! Pitch black colour, and big foamy head that sustains for a long time. Smells of dark bitter chocolate. Tastes very smooth and creamy. Wasn't all that bitter as I had expected. At least now I'm not afraid to try more stouts!