overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4629   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nesta13 (205) - AUSTRALIA - OCT 19, 2002
Iíve been a bit kind to this in the past. Everyone knows what this tastes like - itís a good dry stout but nothing more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mindtheft (28) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 16, 2002
When poured right this beer is immaculate! However if the server gives it to you in less then 2 minutes the taste can be more than off! I drink this as often as I can!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2002
A good dry stout. I rarely drink this without a bass bottom, but enjoyable when i drink it straight.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
BEERICUS - The Beer Prophet99 (11) - CANADA - OCT 14, 2002
this beer is so bitter it tastes like acid in my mouth. I wish I could give a negative rating. Its the worst beer iíve ever had

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
hoorayforbeer (105) - Denton, Texas, USA - OCT 13, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2003 So much weaker than the extra stout... Looked great and was very smooth, but was lacking in flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Burnzes99 (6) - USA - OCT 12, 2002 does not count

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
InTheHopper99 (11) - USA - OCT 10, 2002
There is nothing more beautiful than a freshly poured Guinness; draft, can, or bottle. The thick creamy head and cascade of carbonation are like watching one of those old movies with a synchronized swimming routine. Not that crap in the Olympics. My heart is warmed and my eyes fixated. OK, so itís watery compared to real draft and the flavor can have a bit of a tin flavor sometimes. But, come on, itís smooth and warms my belly on a cold day like Motherís oatmeal. Yes, I admit drinking it for breakfast on occasion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - OCT 10, 2002
Somewhat better than the bottled version (which I rated at 3.5). You have got to love the head!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
iguanatom (24) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - OCT 9, 2002
I expected more from the beer than it was and maybe that was the problem, but the cascading foam wasnít as impressive as I expected, the flavor was just alright, and it really didnít finish well for me. I also found nothing to enjoy with it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - OCT 8, 2002
Its all about mouthfeel and the characteristic dry, bitter finish. Frankly, thereís not alot going on otherwise. Malt is understated, aroma faint at best. Not terribly complex. Creamy, tangy, bitter. Head persistent at 1/8 inch. It can be addicting, I know, but its just not that great. To make it worse the genuine Chicago Irish pub I drank it in served it in a plastic cup!