overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5020   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
chino242 (10) - USA - NOV 20, 2003
A nice beer, maybe a little over rated by most. But it still has a wonderful head, nice aroma, and refreshing taste. So, it may not be the best beer i have ever had, but definately one that i love to enjoy on a regular basis.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
LordHedgehog (144) - Westminster, Maryland, USA - NOV 20, 2003
A good beer, but perhaps the most systemically overrated beers. After a day of drinking barleywines, I had a Guinness and it tasted like water. After setting it aside and clearing the palette, I did enjoy the rich smoothness I've come to expect from Guinness. This beer does define the word "body," but it's never captured my heart for it's complex flavor. People mention the coffee taste, but it's extremely weak. A nice introduction to the world of stout, but don't stop here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
alcoholica (128) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - NOV 20, 2003
This beer is a classic. This is a great winter drink. Just Hanging out indoors on a cold ass day and pound about 8 or 10 Guinness, it brings out the Irish in me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - NOV 18, 2003
The old, reliable Guiness! A good warming beer for colder weather and a great cooling beer for warm weather! Toasty, creamy head. Hearty taste. Familiar coffee-expresso taste. Slight hint of chocolate! When poured well has a rich, creamy, smooth as a a baby's ass dipped in butter head. Like milk. Hint: I always enjoying taking a hiatus from Guiness Drinking for a while then revisiting it like a long-lost friend!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheGeek (6) - Columbus, Indiana, USA - NOV 17, 2003 does not count
I agree with Hangover below, after so many ratings, it would be hard for me to add much that hadn't already been said. This is a wonderful beer very pronounced and delicious. Almost thick enough to be a meal!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hangover (1101) - Atlanta, Alabama, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Can't add much after 1000+ reviews. Personally I really enjoy drinking this, and always buy a case or two when it's on sale. I think Sam Adams Cream Stout is marginally better, but this beer still holds its own against most other stouts. A fine beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 9/20
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2003
I don't like this and can't take it like I can extra stout, which I'll drink all night. Palate here is absolutely wonderful. Unbeatable. Apperance is top-notch, too, and I won't describe it because you already know. Call me crazy but everything else about this beer just doesn't do it for me. I alwasys thought the nitro can was silly and the new nitrto bottle is downright stupid: I don't want to drink this from a bottle EVER, and when I try anyway that stupid widget stops up the bottle. That design is a definite loser.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Reid (2211) - Salem, Oregon, USA - NOV 12, 2003
It had been many years ( 12) since i had last tasted Guiness Draught( on tap in Scotland) so with trepidation i tried this nitro-can thingy. The appearance as always is wonderful..poured a lovelly coffee( with milk) colored froth which slowly clears upwards to reveal the blackness below..the head though not as large as i remember is a good half inch right to the bottom of the glass. Not much of a smell..very light scent of burnt oats ( I like this !) lovelly taste not as good as i remember on draught but not at all bad. good smooth feel in the mouth. i can drink this like milk..very very nice will buy more of this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Timbowl2 (10) - USA - NOV 10, 2003
Excellent beer all together. very good mouth-feel, and has an excellent draw. It is not meant to be guzzeled however. It must be drank for a long time to be fully appreciated

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
heemer77 (5234) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2009 Thin and bland with barely any hint of character. There is a little bit of cola and coffee, but the nitro absolutely destroys it. Previous rating follows. Especially smooth and easy to drink on tap and in the can. However, I would appreciate more hops. The appearance is absolutely dark as night, just as we all expect. Surprisingly, not my first real beer. Has a thin body and lacks character of malt that I would like to see in the style. The triumph of name and appearance over taste.