Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4936   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ross (2128) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUN 12, 2003
a good dark beer, famous for a reason. nice creamy texture to it and possibly the best finish of any beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - JUN 7, 2003
Love the appearance of this old favorite...very dark, almost black, with a nice light tan, creamy head. Very creamy tasting head, roasty and rich, a little slight bitterness in the aftertaste. Something that has grown on me!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
juanito (5) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 7, 2003 does not count
I first tried this beer in Germany at the same time I sampled Kilkenny. Both are excellent brews. I found the quality of this beer to be good even when bottled.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mds (2250) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 7, 2003
I was hesitant to try this beer for quite some time. This is the first stout that I've tried, and I have to say that I am reasonably satisfied. First of all, it looks awesome! Pitch black colour, and big foamy head that sustains for a long time. Smells of dark bitter chocolate. Tastes very smooth and creamy. Wasn't all that bitter as I had expected. At least now I'm not afraid to try more stouts!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
r464 (2130) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 6, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2003 On draught in the UK, this was so creamy and smooth that I understand what the fuss is about. I am only disappointed that I can't experience it at home.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
nfldraftman (2) - USA - JUN 4, 2003 does not count
This is definitely one of my personal favorites. Got introduced to this the right way, in an Irish Pub out of the tap. Love the aroma, the roasting makes the mouth water and the appearance is legendary. I also tip my hat to Guinness for their attempts to keep their beer as fresh as possible from the brewery to your home in both their cans and bottles.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Choos (688) - Taylors Hill, AUSTRALIA - MAY 31, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2004 Aroma is absent in draught form but from the can and 330ml bottle toasty notes do show through. Not as dark as a lot of other stouts, almost translucent at the top and bottom. Flavour is present in all three presentations I have had, toasty malt, lightly hoppy and a bit of carbon. Mouthfeel is definately creamy from the nitrogen/co2 mix but otherwise is watery and awfully thin. That it needs to be served so cold means that this is not something that you can take your time drinking. Being thin I don't think this could be classed as a food stout but is otherwise enjoyable as a refreshing drink that's not too heavy. Took me a little bit of getting used to necking out of the bottle but I am happier doing that than drinking the locally brewed draught stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 31, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2007 A light, flavorful, and passable no-brainer beer and a fail safe given wide availability. Fairly thin body with medium roast and light notable acidity. Somewhat lacking, but serviceable in a pinch.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
thedm (5215) - Fort Wayne, USA - MAY 31, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2003 This sample from a can poured a small creamy head of fine light brown bubbles and an opaque dark brown body. It has a mild malt aroma and a mild coffee flavor with notes of chocolate with a slight lingering after bite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
hotstuff (4532) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Can. Poured a long-lasting tan creamy, thick head with small-medium bubbles. There was lacing was on all sides of my mug. This stout has a strong coffee taste that lingers.