overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4563   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
davidoc (113) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 2, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2009 The perfect beer? When itís done right, definitely. Pours perfect black with a crisp, bitter taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrFabulous99 (5) - - JUN 30, 2002 does not count
my favourite. a good beer with an understandably fanatical following.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
djbuddha (90) - Many, Louisiana, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Excellent beer. Love it when I can find it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
aracauna (3032) - Georgia, USA - JUN 24, 2002
Quite frankly, I think Guinness is overrated. Donít get me wrong, itís a good beer, very much above average, but if I have the choice of the two (usually you canít find anything but Guinness and Beamish), Iíll take Beamish when Iím in the mood for a stout.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 22, 2002
Donít get me wrong...I used to love this stuff untill I one night I had too much a puked it all over the floor...and the wall...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wiseblood (700) - Clarksville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 22, 2002
Rich and dark with an appealing creaminess. Good, but not overwhelming flavor. Makes you want to sit back and discuss philosophy in a dark neighborhood pub. Tasty and satisfying.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2005 Iím basing this rating on some pints that I had in St. James Gate, Ireland. In the USA Iíd say itís a lower, and could be much lower if old, not poured correctly and is using the wrong CO2/Nitro ratio.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
smc12399 (25) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 19, 2002
I am ashamed to admit this but there was a time when I turned my nose up at Guinness. Took me awhile to acquire íthe tasteí but now that I have I am hooked. My favorite beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - JUN 17, 2002
Due to its roasted character, aroma is necessarily reduced as a factor, but still pleasant if light. One is surprised by the lightness of body at first sip, even when you know it is coming ahead of time. (Too many expect Irish drys to be ímeatierí in body than they are) and roasty smooth to the palate. Not as complex a malt balance as others in this class, but a most distictive brew---unmistakable, really. Even out of a can, the pour of this brew is a wonder of Nature. This is one of those brews that you just íhave to haveí once in awhile.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
HildigŲltur (5104) - KÝbenhavn, DENMARK - JUN 16, 2002
Wonderful appearance. Black with an extremely creamy and lasting head. Great bitter tar taste. Pleasant long aftertaste. A classic.