overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4618   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 12, 2002
It may sound odd to all the stout drinkers out there, but my favorite form of Guiness so far is in the draught can at near freezing temperatures. Very impressive with lots of body and flavor. In all fairness though I think I need to give the draft another try because I believe the Keg was nearing its 10th day of use because what I tasted wasnít the way Guiness is supposed to be. I even enjoyed this drink in its Irish Car Bomb variation (boilermakered with Irish Whiskey and Baileyís).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 11, 2002
I think if I had rated this several months ago I might have had a slightly higher opinion of this. This is a very thick creamy and slightly roasted in flavor, but lacking enough hop bitterness for my continually developing taste buds.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Joeh (2038) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - AUG 11, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2007 Rerate: I just read my original view. My tastes have grown since my first test, and I find it even more vile now. I really canít drink this. It is absolutely shocking that this bland nitro-ed-up rubbish scores higher than some really decent cask ales. It doesnít even look like beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ARMed (603) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 10, 2002
Admit the can is a downer, but nothing beats the taste of a freshly pured guinness on draft. AHHH! One of my favorite stouts! I love enjoying this stout with loaf of hot soft italian or french bread and a hot bowl of of oyster or clam chowder. I especially love to drink a nice guinness in the fall months. Glad they created the can to give the everyday person a chance to have a guinness without going to the pub.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mwesth (279) - Skovlunde, DENMARK - AUG 10, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2003 This is so good! I guess it is the best looking beer i know, and the taste is allmost as good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - AUG 9, 2002
If I had a time machine, do you think that I would go back and stop Hitler? No. Would I take the opportunity to meet Christ? Probably not. I would, however, stop the creation of nitrogen cans. Basically, what you are doing is drinking a flat beer with a hell of a head. Guinness is no exception. The flavor is still fabulous, but the mouthfeel and palate are horrible. I would rate the palate lower than í1í if that was an option. Still, itís Guinness, and how can you stay mad at the one you love?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Philosopher99 (24) - arnold, Maryland, USA - AUG 7, 2002
I tried this once, and didnít know what the fuss is about. Tried it again, and thought I might like it in the future. Then a third time, and well, I really enjoyed the smooth (watery) texture. Now Iím somewhat hooked and am going to try some more stouts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ludi (32) - Reston, Virginia, USA - AUG 7, 2002
Guiness is gold. Somebody tell me otherwise. Rich, creamy, and delicious. Full of character without being overbearing. I think Iíve found my true love.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
pivo (2566) - GERMANY - AUG 6, 2002
Once you get through the thick, frothy tan head that doesnít quit, there is a nice malty, roasted aroma. The taste is crisp and bitter, with coffee-like tones. Kinda thin body though. Classic and very enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Schy (5) - Bridgeville, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 5, 2002 does not count
This is an Irishmanís everyday stout. My friends and I drink so much Guinness that we decided to buy it by the keg from now on. Having Guinness on-tap in the house is great!