overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4638   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hoebag99 (4) - USA - AUG 23, 2002 does not count
Not as good as the stuff out of the tap in London. Still has that great character that is all about Guinness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
skortila (4558) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - AUG 23, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2004 However I favor belgian ales, this one sure is a good stout. Beutifull appearance, nice bitter taste. Palate is a big minus.
Rerate 13/3/2004; Nice aroma of roasted malts -coffee. Taste is strong coffee malty again, quite bitter and very dry. Very decent brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - AUG 22, 2002
Leather tarish aroma. It tastes medecine, tobacco and tar. A slightly bitter finish. It is special and get points for originality.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - AUG 22, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2003 This sure beats the hell out of the bottled draught. I have yet to find a beer that is quite as phenomenal in appearance as this beer. The gorgeous frothy white head and unique cascade of nitrogen on the side of the pint are really unbeatable. I am honestly not too big a fan of the flavor and palate on this beer (an almost average linear dry stout, with a slightly unpleasant bitter) but the "presentation," if you will, sure bumped up my overall impression.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - AUG 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2003 Good, but not great. I prefer the extra stout in a bottle. I can't seem to find a good pour of this on tap. Even my local pub that proclaims it has "the perfect pint" can't seem to pour me a glass of this or Bass without a bitter edge. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I'll try this in the bottle too.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
ddipaolo (26) - USA - AUG 17, 2002
Guess I’m just not a stout fan. It’s definitely a heavy beer, but to me it’s just way too bitter - taste resembled that of burnt bacon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Panzuriel (1316) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 17, 2002
Nothing is cooler than watching a draft Guinness settle. Nothing in the world of beer, that is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GABeerMan (48) - HOSCHTON, Georgia, USA - AUG 15, 2002

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - AUG 15, 2002
Okay, please know that I am horribly addicted to this stuff, so my rating is somewhat biased... on draft, this stuff is unbeatable for its availability and its consistency. thank the irish gods for guinness!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - AUG 12, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2005 Guinness has a damn good balance between macro-brewing and quality. Probably the best. The draught is most definately the best of the 3 types I have tried (can, bottle, on tap). I actually first tried this at a pub in fort Louisbourg when I was wayyy under the legal age to drink. Black, with everlasting creamy white head, always the "perfect pint". Mild smokiness, smooooooth mouthfeel, My session ale of choice.