overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4892   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
desurfer (1253) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - FEB 8, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2003 After much beer experience, I have come to learn that Guinness is not the pinnacle of stouts. Nonetheless, it is smooth and good drinking, and will always have a place in my heart. It's one of the beers that opened my eyes to the world of good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 8, 2003
Nice big creamy head with great lacing. Nose is sweet and enjoyable. Body is obviously dark and thick. Taste is very creamy and rich with a slightly bitter and hoppy finish. Drinks like a meal. I hope I can have this pumped to me one day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Dorwart (2451) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - FEB 8, 2003
Excellent head as in the pub draft. Settles nicely to a thick creamy head which lasts the duration. Slight coffee and malt aroma as well as taste. Nice dark brown/black in color. Is a little bit thinner than what I remember. Says to drink straight from the bottle which is a sin since half the enjoyment is watching the settling. A good stout which I would consider to be on the lighter side.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Mmmmm... I love going to my favorite version of a Irish pub (N. Illinois ratebeerians send me an message and I'll tell you where) and trying a tapped Guinness. I love it if the bartender knows how to draw it in to the glass. A must try for any Irish dinner.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cAPSLOCK (156) - Dallas, Texas, USA - FEB 6, 2003
Not much to smell here. ;) But such an easy drinking sweet smooth beer. Lovely head, more lovely with the shamrock. Not the stout with the most character, but I am always glad to drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 5, 2003
You know, nothing can beat an ice cold Guinness. It should be listed with the top ten stouts ever made. A nice thick creamy brown head that lasts, almost jet black body with a rich flavor! It is just plain good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
butrain (14) - USA - FEB 4, 2003
This is really good stuff. "liquid bread" is how I've heard it described. Granted, in the bottle, it can't be that thick, but it's still good. Tastes like a cold coffee. For someone who can't get the original, this is still pretty good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
flemdawg (543) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - FEB 3, 2003
An excellent brew. It just looks almost too good to drink, but you know you need to. Dark color with a magnificent head. Feels good all the way down. I haven't had any other Irish stouts, but this is a pretty good one, and should be tried by everyone at least twice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - FEB 3, 2003
Interesting pouring experience - following instructions on can, goes into glass dark with the foam rising and remainder settling; then almost an illusion that the bubbles are falling, fooled several folks that observed. Strange. When the show is over, this is a decent stout to drink; Smooth and creamy with nice chocolate/coffee hints.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
JFGrind (1918) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 3, 2003
Nice stout on its own, however I use this mostly to make black and tans with macro beers sitting in my fridge too long.