overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4563   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2002
I have seen it so many times, but I am still mesmerized when pouring one of these. Perhaps my favorite pour. However, I noticed almost no other distinguishing characteristics. Perhaps this is because it was from the can, but the aroma was non-existent and the flavor was completely gone. The hints of roasted malt were there, but they were only hints. It has such a reputation anymore, I wonder if it can live up to it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
scrawfis (143) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAY 12, 2002
The unique qualities of Guinness almost deserves a new category of beer. There are definitely stouts with much more flavor and complexity, but the smoothness of Guinness is world class.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nuffield (3657) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAY 11, 2002
The criticisms of Guinness are not without basis. The legend of the beer exceeds the experience. But the appearance is an everlasting joy, and the texture and taste combine to be like drinking an iced capuccino. Flavor is not as robust as that, and the texture is a bit too watery, but it is enjoyable. Everyone says it is better in Ireland--Iíve had it in Belfast (N.I., of course) and I would say that it is indeed qualitatively different.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brew4Dug (138) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 10, 2002
overall very good. i prefer this over the bottled and canned draught any day.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAY 10, 2002
First time I had this one, I thought I was disgusting! It took me trying a few different stouts for me to really appreciate the work put into this masterpeice. Give it time, youíll grow to love it. Re-rate: Damn, i was pretty new in the beer game when I rated this a 4.2! Definately not very good out of a can. Would much rather have the bottled extra stout (no widget damnit!). This beer is rather wet and thin on the mouth with no real aroma. Nitrogen does shitty things to beer. The only good thing about this version is watching the cascade.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bierkoning (9999) - La Tropica, NETHERLANDS - MAY 5, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2004 Typical creamy lasting head. Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Very bitter. Little bit of apple fruitiness and milk well hidden behind the typical dry stout taste. Guinness is best fresh from tap in Dublin, but this can is not a bad substitute. 8 4 7 3 14 =3.6 Tap: Finneganís in Hengelo. As it should be: bitter, roasted malt, smooth and creamy. Thin and even a bit watery, in spite of the creaminess. Still a great session beer.

jbak (111) - Torrington, Connecticut, USA - MAY 5, 2002
The only way to make Guinness better was to make it more portable, no glasses needed here and they did an awesome job!!!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DarkFudge99 (5) - Dumont (Irish Headquarters USA), New Jersey, USA - MAY 5, 2002 does not count
Not my choice for a stout....Itís a bit watery and the feeling I am left with when drinking this beer is the impression of drinking wet slightly bitter but smooth baseball glove leather.....not bad but thatís the closest description of what this tastes like out of the can...its ok

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cruddler (32) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 4, 2002
My first exposure to Guiness. Good looks tend to inflate the score.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAY 2, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2003 Re-rated once I got out and had more stouts and learned more about beer in general. I still enjoy it, and will often have a 'guinness only' night at my favorite Irish Pub. The cascade is the coolest thing to watch, and the flavor still satisfies me, but I over-rated it in my early stages of rating!