Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5115   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hangover (1117) - Atlanta, Alabama, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Can't add much after 1000+ reviews. Personally I really enjoy drinking this, and always buy a case or two when it's on sale. I think Sam Adams Cream Stout is marginally better, but this beer still holds its own against most other stouts. A fine beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 9/20
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2003
I don't like this and can't take it like I can extra stout, which I'll drink all night. Palate here is absolutely wonderful. Unbeatable. Apperance is top-notch, too, and I won't describe it because you already know. Call me crazy but everything else about this beer just doesn't do it for me. I alwasys thought the nitro can was silly and the new nitrto bottle is downright stupid: I don't want to drink this from a bottle EVER, and when I try anyway that stupid widget stops up the bottle. That design is a definite loser.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Reid (2339) - Salem, Oregon, USA - NOV 12, 2003
It had been many years ( 12) since i had last tasted Guiness Draught( on tap in Scotland) so with trepidation i tried this nitro-can thingy. The appearance as always is wonderful..poured a lovelly coffee( with milk) colored froth which slowly clears upwards to reveal the blackness below..the head though not as large as i remember is a good half inch right to the bottom of the glass. Not much of a smell..very light scent of burnt oats ( I like this !) lovelly taste not as good as i remember on draught but not at all bad. good smooth feel in the mouth. i can drink this like milk..very very nice will buy more of this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Timbowl2 (10) - USA - NOV 10, 2003
Excellent beer all together. very good mouth-feel, and has an excellent draw. It is not meant to be guzzeled however. It must be drank for a long time to be fully appreciated

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
heemer77 (5297) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2009 Thin and bland with barely any hint of character. There is a little bit of cola and coffee, but the nitro absolutely destroys it. Previous rating follows. Especially smooth and easy to drink on tap and in the can. However, I would appreciate more hops. The appearance is absolutely dark as night, just as we all expect. Surprisingly, not my first real beer. Has a thin body and lacks character of malt that I would like to see in the style. The triumph of name and appearance over taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Damage (77) - London, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 9, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2004 The classic stout. Mocha aroma, textured by a creamy, frothy head with mellow bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
ghawener (1567) - San Salvador, EL SALVADOR - NOV 8, 2003
Bottle: Strong, heavy and robust with bitter tones. Probably the best comercial Stout readily available.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
PhoebeDog (5) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 3, 2003 does not count
The classic - if you don't have your own opinion you should spend some time with a few. Brewing 101

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Jedsbrew (465) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - NOV 3, 2003
Very dark, almost black with a fine head and thick lacing. Coffee and chocolate aroma. Medium bodied with a creamy chocolate milk texture well balanced by the bitterness, and a dry finish. I haven't drank any of this in years and tastewise it seems very familiar although perhaps slightly lighter bodied. Not near as "stout" as some being made these days but still quite enjoyable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Waponi (3) - USA - NOV 3, 2003 does not count
The quintessential stout, Guinness readily gives the impression that somewhere in the secrets of it's closely guarded brewing process is involved allowing huge quantities of burnt toaste to be fermented in water. It's a beautiful beer, extraordinary head and definetly a social classic but this stuff lasts longer in my fridge than last year's milk. The taste is extraordinarily thin. The palate is subtle in the sense that it builds up into what I would describe as a "Why the hell am I drinking this" sensation. Just can't like it no matter how hard I try...and still I struggle on.