overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4813   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
Frank (3224) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2004 Rerate: Pours a nice dark garnet with that artificial nito-head. Nearly no aroma. Slightly roasty with some cheap-lager-esque notes in the background. Nitrogen, as always, kills the mouthfeel completely. Still, a lot people seem to think this is the best beer ever. Blinded by marketing. It's a sad state of affairs.

Original Rating: Guiness is beautiful--deep, deep garnet color, creamy off-white head. Its palate is insanely smooth and lucious. Guinness's marketing genious is that they combined these traits with a notable lack of flavor and aroma (slight notes of roasted barley and coffee, dry finish), leaving Guinness with excellent snob appeal while offering nothing to challenge the every day beer drinker. I can't say I don't like it but Guinness drinkers really need to open their eyes to some of the more flavorful stouts out there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 8, 2002
8 Dec 2002 ReRate: Still one of my favour beers to look at. My tastes for stouts have grown greatly over the last couple of mounths. Guineess has a wonderful mouth feel and pretty good roasted flavours, but doesn’t have the full taste and complexity of many other stouts I have had.
5 Aug 2002:I had my first full pint on tap as a Guinness Extra Cold, one of the most beautiful beers to look at I am not a huge fan of the coffee flavour that many people love. That is personal though, the beer is nicely creamy and smooth, but not for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hieronim (15) - Schenectady, New York, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Ok...so I’m biased. Guinness will not overwhelm you in any way. Its aroma, taste and finish are all very mild. Perhaps this is why it is so perfect.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - DEC 5, 2002
Re-Rate 12/05/02: Pours the color all beer should be ’Dark’, black if you prefer. Wonderful creamy head, tons of lace, and that distinctive ’Guinness’ nose, roasted and toasted malt with hints of chocolate. Malt start, medium middle, dry finish with a nice hop presence, basically no carbonation, smooth and creamy rich. Not as good as getting a pint at the ’Gate’, but quite drinkable nonetheless.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - DEC 4, 2002
A really wonderful beer. Heavy tones of coffee, smooth full body, a light tang to keep you awake. Unfortunately, much thinner in the States than in the UK.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
relwin (20) - Cardiff, California, USA - DEC 4, 2002
The defacto dry stout. Had it in London where it was pulled properly. Very enjoyable.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 4, 2002
Hell yes. If you buy Guinness on tap, all the flavor is more pronounced. This is the best dry stout ever, I think. Appearance is so classic it’s worth ten points. Watching the beer settle is an event in itself. I have to give it a 5, since this is such a classic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - DEC 4, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2004 Ok...so I'm rating the one I had at the Guinness Hopstore in Dublin. I'd give it more than 5 appearance points if possible, but alas, I'm limited to 5. Velvety smooth, wonderfully bitter yet somewhat roasted up front, but this all quickly dissipates to sourness. I used to like this a lot more than I do now. I've come to prefer Murphys in this stout category, and sweeter stouts overall. I guess I'm not a huge fan of the sour stout thing, and I feel that this one in particular is overrated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MTNMAN509 (14) - Goleta, California, USA - DEC 3, 2002
this brew is the SHIT. You can never go wrong with a thick pint of guinness. I wouldnt tke any beer over this. pour me a pint!

magruffltd (10) - USA - DEC 3, 2002
The perfect beer. Guinness is the benchmark to rate all other beers against.