Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4935   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
dubs (117) - St Peters, NSW, AUSTRALIA - JAN 4, 2003
Whatís all the fuss about? Prefer all Aussie stouts. This is cool with the nitrogen and the head, but tastes bland. Only softcocks who like to think they are as hardcore as me would like this. Out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brewster (29) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 1, 2003

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - DEC 31, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 21, 2003 On tap at Woodlawn Tap in Chicago, 12/8/03. Unbelievable head. Thick and creamy, it adds a nice touch to the dark and roasty beer. Much better than other widely-available Irish Stouts, like Beamish. One of the best beers that's mass-produced and available all over in the US.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - DEC 30, 2002
This is a fantastic session stout--though almost always served too cold. Not terribly complex (cold serving temps and nitrogen no help here), very dry, but the creaminess and roastiness is a very nice combination.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dogbrick (10001) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 30, 2002
Rerate 12/30/02: One year later, I have to go back and round this one down a bit. I will always appreciate Guinness because it was one of the first ídifferent beersí I tried, but at this point I have had many better Stouts, and I like Imperial Stouts more than Dry Stouts now. You can always count on not looking like a sissy drinking it next to your Bud-swilling buddy. 12/30/01 (4.8): There truly is no better. The first time I had it I absolutely hated it, luckily I tried it again and realized it must have been warm and old. Since then it is probably my favorite rich, stout beer, and possibly my overall favorite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 29, 2002
on draught in Ireland. THE stout. Thick and creamy like malted milk.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 28, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2005 Almost more head than beer. The appearance is good owing to the nitrogen.. It has a bit of an acidic aroma. However, the flavor is lacking in complexity; it is difficult to go far beyond roasted and slightly creamy. Watery and dumbed down.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zygomatic99 (17) - Little Rock, Arkansas, USA - DEC 28, 2002
Nice nose. Full palate. Bitter, but not overbearing. I still like this one in a íBlack and Taní. This beer is MUCH BETTER from the tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrGregAD199 (65) - Medford, Oregon, USA - DEC 27, 2002

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
AndyOtremba99 (12) - Long Prairie, Minnesota, USA - DEC 26, 2002
What a great thing this is. Nowhere near as good as fron the tap but for me living in the middle of nowhere itís the best I can ask for. I love the chocolate and coffee taste this beer has. Iím sure my rating is pretty high but until I find better itís in my top 5.