overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5100   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
celogan (204) - Oroville, California, USA - JUN 15, 2003
Maybe I just don't like Stout. I drank this straight from the bottle as recommended. This had a watery mouth feel. Taste reminded me somewhat of bitter french roast. Under-carbonated for my taste. I just didn't enjoy it. I'd have to turn this down even if offered for free.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RichardWilding (201) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUN 15, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2004 This is an excellent beer. It has a roasty, coffee/chocolate flavour. Nice bitterness. An average stout, try some others, you will be pleased what you find when ecploring this style. Weak tasting from a can.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
maxwellplum (54) - USA - JUN 13, 2003
Too finicky on tap for me, but it has never disappointed out of the bottle. I'm more partial to the extra stout, but this is a sweetheart.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUN 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2004 Aroma smells of alcohol. Very very thick. Dark. Black. Dark black. The more you drink and the more familiar it tastes, the more comforting and soothing it is - especially if you are Irish. I recommend the can as opposed to the bottle because you get more - 14.9 as opposed to 11.2. However! There are only 4 of the cans and there are 6 of the bottles. So make your own decision, now you are informed!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ross (2146) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUN 12, 2003
a good dark beer, famous for a reason. nice creamy texture to it and possibly the best finish of any beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - JUN 7, 2003
Love the appearance of this old favorite...very dark, almost black, with a nice light tan, creamy head. Very creamy tasting head, roasty and rich, a little slight bitterness in the aftertaste. Something that has grown on me!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
juanito (5) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 7, 2003 does not count
I first tried this beer in Germany at the same time I sampled Kilkenny. Both are excellent brews. I found the quality of this beer to be good even when bottled.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mds (2250) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 7, 2003
I was hesitant to try this beer for quite some time. This is the first stout that I've tried, and I have to say that I am reasonably satisfied. First of all, it looks awesome! Pitch black colour, and big foamy head that sustains for a long time. Smells of dark bitter chocolate. Tastes very smooth and creamy. Wasn't all that bitter as I had expected. At least now I'm not afraid to try more stouts!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
r464 (2264) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 6, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2003 On draught in the UK, this was so creamy and smooth that I understand what the fuss is about. I am only disappointed that I can't experience it at home.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
nfldraftman (2) - USA - JUN 4, 2003 does not count
This is definitely one of my personal favorites. Got introduced to this the right way, in an Irish Pub out of the tap. Love the aroma, the roasting makes the mouth water and the appearance is legendary. I also tip my hat to Guinness for their attempts to keep their beer as fresh as possible from the brewery to your home in both their cans and bottles.