overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5083   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - DEC 31, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 21, 2003 On tap at Woodlawn Tap in Chicago, 12/8/03. Unbelievable head. Thick and creamy, it adds a nice touch to the dark and roasty beer. Much better than other widely-available Irish Stouts, like Beamish. One of the best beers that's mass-produced and available all over in the US.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - DEC 30, 2002
This is a fantastic session stout--though almost always served too cold. Not terribly complex (cold serving temps and nitrogen no help here), very dry, but the creaminess and roastiness is a very nice combination.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dogbrick (11327) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 30, 2002
Rerate 12/30/02: One year later, I have to go back and round this one down a bit. I will always appreciate Guinness because it was one of the first ídifferent beersí I tried, but at this point I have had many better Stouts, and I like Imperial Stouts more than Dry Stouts now. You can always count on not looking like a sissy drinking it next to your Bud-swilling buddy. 12/30/01 (4.8): There truly is no better. The first time I had it I absolutely hated it, luckily I tried it again and realized it must have been warm and old. Since then it is probably my favorite rich, stout beer, and possibly my overall favorite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 29, 2002
on draught in Ireland. THE stout. Thick and creamy like malted milk.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 28, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2005 Almost more head than beer. The appearance is good owing to the nitrogen.. It has a bit of an acidic aroma. However, the flavor is lacking in complexity; it is difficult to go far beyond roasted and slightly creamy. Watery and dumbed down.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zygomatic99 (17) - Little Rock, Arkansas, USA - DEC 28, 2002
Nice nose. Full palate. Bitter, but not overbearing. I still like this one in a íBlack and Taní. This beer is MUCH BETTER from the tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrGregAD199 (65) - Medford, Oregon, USA - DEC 27, 2002

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
AndyOtremba99 (12) - Long Prairie, Minnesota, USA - DEC 26, 2002
What a great thing this is. Nowhere near as good as fron the tap but for me living in the middle of nowhere itís the best I can ask for. I love the chocolate and coffee taste this beer has. Iím sure my rating is pretty high but until I find better itís in my top 5.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Donatas (188) - Vilnius, LITHUANIA - DEC 25, 2002
Sweet aroma, little biterness in the end. Fine stout.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hayden1215 (319) - Ohio, USA - DEC 25, 2002
Chocolate sweet coffee aroma, creamy head. Hoppy bitter finish. Head and shoulders better than the bottles or cans.