overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4811   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Available in cans, kegs and bottles with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Pasteurised. Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - APR 1, 2002
This bottled version is ment to be drunk from the bottle. Do NOT pour this beer. I thought it was watery nonetheless. Cool shaped bottle kinda like a coke bottle, fit real well in your hand.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
FunkDaMan (38) - New Mexico, USA - APR 1, 2002
Quite good, seemed a bit thin though. I had the íextra stoutí a while back, I donít remember much except I like this better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Suttree (5379) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2004 Yeah, get it in draft if at al possible. The canned stuff looks great, though. Very drinkable. I think the 4.2% alcohol is a little ambitious. Re-rate, March 18, 2004. Sorry, this stuff seems more and more to be all about looks and texture and not flavor. The flavor disappears right in the middle, and bit of a dry finish. So I've changed my mind: Avoid. Get the regular, non-"draught" bottles instead.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
grant60 (185) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - MAR 31, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2003 it has a nice head and flavour and is creamy and smooth. the head lasts longer than the beer. it is so smooth creamy and chocolatey. can't get enough of it. i've never had it out of a bottle though. i love the stark contrast between the dead black liquid, and the head. it's such a smooth line.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
ghostwheel (43) - Hauppauge, New York, USA - MAR 29, 2002
a fantastic stout if you like bitter beers. Personally, I love Guinness when itís mixed with Harp or Bass as a half and half. But will alwasy be a classic. I love it!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
satansspawn99 (24) - USA - MAR 29, 2002
good looking beer, but thatís where the attraction stops for me, just nasty

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
olympian (107) - USA - MAR 28, 2002
While not quite as flavorful as the Extra Stout, it is unquestionably Guinness. One of the worldís magnificent achievements in brewing. Delicious! DONíT drink it out of the can, pour it slowly into a tall glass. Black as night until you hold it against a VERY strong light, then itís deeeeep purple color is revealed. Anyone who guzzles this should be flogged - a true ísippingí brew, and the universal standard for stout. If you donít like Guiness, you will not like any stout, period.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
CabinBoy (4) - Louisiana, USA - MAR 26, 2002 does not count
It might just be me but all of the Stouts that I have tried have seemed a bit too watery, this one included. If you like stouts I suppose this one is as good as any other. Otherwise, you will not find anything new here. I find Porters to be much more palatable than Stouts if you have never tried one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cheekymonkey99 (4) - Yigo, GUAM - MAR 26, 2002 does not count

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Z28Jersey99 (13) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 26, 2002
This has to be one of my favorite beers. Its got great flavor, and so thick. I would take this over most every beer.