overall
Brewed by Labatt Breweries (InBev)
Style: Dry Stout
London, Canada

RATINGS: 1820   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   IBU: 47   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Labatt’s brew a pale ale base to which is added the unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract. Guinness Extra Stout is brewed in Canada by Labatt under license from Arthur Guinness Son & Company. Editor’s Note: It looks like Moosehead is also brewing Guinness. Bottles in the US are from there of late, but Canadian bottles are still showing Labatt. 04/23/06

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rolo99 (29) - USA - OCT 20, 2002
Classic stout, but there are better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerdoc99 (5) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 14, 2002 does not count
personally in my opinion its good once in a while and only served draft. Too much is not good

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
amx83 (29) - Brampton, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 14, 2002
Too bitter for me. I can understand how some people like it, but its rough on the palate and too thick.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rlhubley99 (36) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 6, 2002
A classic, I really like this from the bottle. Shared a 22 yesterday, we both enjoyed this one. A simple classic, not the best, but a classic nonetheless.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - OCT 4, 2002
Almost black, thin tan head and lace. Nose of mild coffee and chocolate. Fairly smooth, kind of a thinnish body and palate. Some decent coffee flavors and bitterness, moderately dry and thats about it...average ass stout.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jaymobrown (1708) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Good, but not as good as can or even close to draught (especially in Dublin). In fact, I don’t think this much resembles Guinness. Still, a good beer for an international brewery.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Slovak34 (99) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 30, 2002
I asked for a Guinness in a bar and was given this instead of a pint of draught. This doesn’t even compare. It has a nice color though and is an average stout.
Earlier Rating: 9/25/2002 Total Score: 2
It much more bitter than regular Guinness. I don’t believe it’s tastier than Guinness Draught.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
knickerbocker (13) - USA - SEP 26, 2002
When the guinness was brewed in Ireland it had a very good deep ryeish flavor that I liked a lot. Now it is brewed up in Canada and it is so-so. Is it the Water? It just isn’t the same taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 26, 2002
This is the big brother to regular Guinness. Nice roasted malt taste and very smooth. I believe this stuff is bottled in Canada.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Perdue46 (68) - USA - SEP 22, 2002
I found chunknuts comments to be very insightful. I have had a similiar experience. As I was enjoying many delicious keystones a buddy of mine, who is not real bright, said to me lets pay more money and get guiness. I said why would I do that, but he bought the guiness and it had a bad taste. I said to him why would you pay more when you dont have to. The moral is this beer is too expensive and not delicious enough