overall
Brewed by Labatt Breweries (InBev)
Style: Dry Stout
London, Canada

RATINGS: 1800   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   IBU: 47   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Labattís brew a pale ale base to which is added the unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract. Guinness Extra Stout is brewed in Canada by Labatt under license from Arthur Guinness Son & Company. Editorís Note: It looks like Moosehead is also brewing Guinness. Bottles in the US are from there of late, but Canadian bottles are still showing Labatt. 04/23/06

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JUL 31, 2002
I prefer Guinness from the bottle instead of the can because I donít enjoy the mouthfeel of a nitrogen beer. For those of you out there who have only tasted Guinness on tap or in the can, try this beer ... itís almost like trying something new. Very chewy with tons of caramel. Characteristic Guinness bitterness and astringency. Mouth puckering sour ... with plenty of coffee and chocolate flavor. A wonderful beer for dark winter nights.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - JUL 30, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2003 The extra stout is a bit more bitter than its bottled draft counterpart, but your still looking at a guinness here. Beautiful browns, heavenly aroma, and a remarkable bite that dances on your tongue. If its a guinness, ive tried or i want it..no wait...both. RERATE...good roasts here, a bit thin, but nice use of malts and bittering hops.
Earlier Rating: 7/30/2002 Total Score: 3.2
Guinness is impressive in just about every form you find it in. As a dry stout proponent, you get the true beer in a guinness. A deep brown hue, a solid taste, and a good feeling going down. Definitely an impressive drink. RERATE...a little thin...watery these days..good body, nice head retention..weak malts

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUL 29, 2002
I canít believe that I never got around to rating this. Extra Stout, itís best in the bottle, I donít really like the flatness of the draft (or does the Extra even come on draft, Guinness is so confusing?). The textbook example of stout. I used to think it was better until I got exposed to whatís out there, but it is still good stuff.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 26, 2002
Black stout with a beautiful, frothy, light brown, and lasting head. Not an impressive aroma though. Flavour is dry and very bitter with hints of coffee, chocolate, etc. However, it also has an almost sourish quality that I donít really appreciate in a stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
bull2699 (17) - USA - JUL 25, 2002
this beer tastes like cold coffee maybe im not a beer expert but this is not good!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
JVM23 (1) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUL 25, 2002 does not count
UPDATED: APR 4, 2003 Ahhh the original monkish swill. Having been drinking now for 24 of my short 25 years I'm continually tricked into thinking that this beer is a taste I'm going to grow into. I'm Irish for god's sake but despite my heritage I still find that Guinness is a beer better left in the bottle. The flavor is of a smooth, dark, extraordinarily burnt nature. An excellent showing of head and aroma belies the weak body of the stout. The bitter aftertaste could be forgiven if it wasnt the strongest flavor of the brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - JUL 16, 2002
To me, I have had better tasting stouts...it is just a very strong stout, with an extremely bitter after taste, which makes it less than enjoyable...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GiddyBoy (117) - USA - JUL 14, 2002
I prefer the regular stout. Maybe I am a wuss, but this was just too much. More bitter, and very strong. The flavor is still truly Guinness, but I will stick with the normal stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Heresiarch99 (4) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 14, 2002 does not count
Hall of fame, all-time classic - canít go wrong with this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUL 13, 2002
RERATE: Have had this a few more times, and my previous rating was way too generous. Nasty bitter, without the charm of the regular stout. Barely drinkable Canadian wannabe.