overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Van Steenberge
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Ertvelde, Belgium

RATINGS: 2291   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Gulden Draak is a high fermentation beer with secondary fermentation. For the secondary fermentation, wine yeast is used. The white bottle, the black banner, the golden dragon and the red letters, constitute a stylish result that has no equal among the many Belgian special beers. Gulden Draak can be drunk as an aperitif or dessert, or whenever you have the time to sit back and relax. But this barley wine is also perfect with and in stews, especially the Ghent variety. It is also a plus in sauces for red meat, such as a bordelaise. It is particularly suited as a dessert beer, especially in combination with dark chocolate.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - OCT 8, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2004 Aroma is sweet, dark fruit and bread, slightly astringent. Dark brown appearance, more head than I expected to see. Slight fruit notes in the flavor as well, very sweet upfront before the alcohol thankfully comes in to clean the palate. Not impressed, I've had much better examples of the style. When I say that, I'm talking about every other Belgian Strong Ale I've ever had.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Bready, musty-sweet aroma. Daark ruby brown color with a gorgeous frothy tan head. Figgy sweet malt flavor. With a slightly sticky-sweet aftertaste, but it's not really offensive. The considerable alcohol is well-masked, too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tomseaman (35) - Alpine, California, USA - SEP 26, 2003
This Belgian pours with a head close to that of Duvel - although it's darker and much more rich. Nice, complex flavor, and on top of everything else, a really nice white bottle. Just not enough of it!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Pours a cloudy dark brown with huge, bubbly head. A wonderful nose full of fruit and sweet malt. More sweet malt in the flavor with more fruits, some caramel. This is damn nice Belgian

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - SEP 19, 2003
Wow! I wasn't really expecting much. I haven't been into Belgians lately, and out of all the beer in my frig, the Belgians have been coming out last. I am very pleasantly surprised by this. Nose is musty with black licorice. Mix in some prune with that also. Almost smells like some of the rotting perssimons in my yard. It's not offensive. It's a very complex aroma actually. Appearence is almost opaque. Very nice head on top of a cloudy brown base. Taste is like the nose. Prune, licorice, and more in general, dried fruit (like my rotting perssimons). I am really really enjoying this. I don't really taste the alcahol. Finish is very sticky like everyone else is saying. The feel stays in the mouth for a while. Holy crap, I wish I would have tried this sooner. I'll have to try this again to make sure I really like it this much. It could be the mood I'm in, or it really could be this good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - SEP 7, 2003
White grape/blackberry aroma. Flavors of malty leaves, iron and peat malt. Very sweet/sticky finish. I hope this was an old keg I tried. Not memorable or very tasty either.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
JorisPPattyn (7910) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - AUG 29, 2003
Yelloish-brown head; dark brown, opaque beer. Nose of sweet cookies, gingerbread, alcohol, fruity & vinous aromas. Immediate bitter impression in the taste, then (little)bitter-(much)sweet taste, keeping alike. Flavours are grainy, fruity and vinous-alcoholic all the way. Very full-bodied. Alcoholburn and lcoholtaste - some higher alcohols? Esters certainly. Lemonbalm flavour retronasal. Well carbonated. Fruity, strong, liqueurish. But not very refined, nor exciting. Just a strong punch to me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FastEddie (230) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Very light malty aroma. Big white foamy head, lots of carbonation. Darker brown color but no cloudiness. Nice decent malty-ale flavor with light hops. A fairly decent ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RobBestwick (587) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 17, 2003
sweet malty nose, dark tawny hue with a large off white head, sweet and syrupy taste, cloyingly thick palate, alcohol notes, very rich.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - AUG 13, 2003
Nice white bottle... Dark brown and hazy with very longlasting head. Dried plums, dark malt, burnt sugar and alcohol in aroma. Spicy, alcoholic and yeasty flavour. Long burnt and alcoholic finish. I'm getting drunk soon