Brewed by HaandBryggeriet (Norway)
Style: Imperial Stout
Drammen, Norway

RATINGS: 925   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
"Double" (imperial) wheat stout.
This imperial really strikes back. From a strange country far, far away, comes the only Imperial Wheat Stout in the known universe. Once again, the íHandí brewery - four guys brewing in their spare time, on an absurdly small scale - boldly goes where no brewery has gone before.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nuffield (3912) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - AUG 21, 2007
You know, I didnít care for this as much as the Norwegian Wood from the same brewer. Perhaps it has to compete against a lot of contenders in the "big dark rich" beer world. I took this as a hoppy Imperial stout, burnt and with some smoke notes. Thick, black, good head. Typical stuff in this style, but not rising out of the masses. That may be why it has a decent score (3.73 before I rate it, but low style percentage--44.8%). Bottle purchased in Baltimore.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
CheesedMan (555) - Saint Cloud, Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2007
Pours an opaque ebony black with a craggy and creamy tan head that might seemingly last for quit some time. Aroma is unique for an Impy, but then again, so is using wheat in this family. Aromas of coccoa, roasting coffee dominate. Yet, there is this odd ccedar like aroma that seems to hold itís own. Not sure if I am crazy, but I seem to be picking up this odd burnt toast smell. Flavor is a contiuation of the oddness. There is such a dominate sweetness initially, I was surprised. But as the flavor develops, the typically roasted bitterness does come through. Glad I have another one of these, I would like to see what some time in the bottle does to this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6507) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 19, 2007
Bottle from Secret Santa (Norway version, Batch #60) and served in my Stone IRS snifter: Jet black with an never ending frothy tan head and outstanding lace. The nose detects massive charred and dry bakers chocolate malting, very slight prune ester, an old a.k.a. oxidized aroma that could be part cellaring and part use of wheat. The aroma reminds me more of an old English Impy than anything else, this is not a bad thing personally.

The taste starts with a light lactose twang and some prune flavor before an onslaught of heavy charred and grainy malts come rushing forth to smack you sideways. There is a noticeable espresso bitterness more towards the finish along with a dash of that bakers chocolate for good measure. When this warms it became more aggressive and sharper on the flavor profile. The mouth feel is honestly not as creamy as I would have figured a wheat Imperial Stout would have likely been. Very dry and a slight warming sensation on he finish.

This is an interesting Impy for sure. At first I was underwhelmed but then as it warmed it really grew on me. I need to find me a fresher American version just to compare.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - AUG 18, 2007
Dark brown body with whispy brown head and nice lacing. Aroma of faintly roasted malts and a definite wheat tinge. Definitely a unique body. Roasted grainy character with none of the usual chocolate or coffee characteristics. An almost sour body with faint wheat character. Almost a berry like quality in the finish. Creamy mouth feel that leads to a slightly watered down finish by comparison.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - AUG 18, 2007
1pt. 9 fl oz bottle, apparently from west lakeview liquors. Batch 73, brewed apr. í07. Opaque black with large red-brown head. Aroma of fruity malt with some funk and some roasted grain. Light roasted malt, dark fruit, some funk as well, some alc, very complex, smokey, "like sausage" according to johnny corkscrew, not that I would know. Creamy, med body, though not as creamy as I would imagine a "double extreme imperial wheat stout" should be. I really enjoy this beer, a very nice beer, but too light on the aroma. Very tasty none the less.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
WeeHeavySD (3361) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 17, 2007
Bottle @ Hop Devil Grill, NYC shared with my buddy Eric. Batch 74. Pours black with a 1 finger light brown head. The nose is sweet and malty with a weird almost lactose nose. Tasty notes of coffee smoke and roasty malts. The fact that it is a wheat impy makes it strange but its not terrible.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 17, 2007
The aroma is strikingly funky. Funky: something unusual and unexpected in the aroma, that I canít really put my finger on. There is a woodiness, which my friend points out is actually a wheatiness. I think thereís a dankness, mustiness too. But it is an interesing touch for an IS. Anyway, the flavor has some cocoa, some coffee maybe. It is quite roasty. The alchol is evident and even burns a bit.

notalush (5514) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 17, 2007
Opaque pour, with a well-retained, frothy tan head - the aroma is immediately interesting - the wheat malt is very apparent, imparting an earthy, grainy, almost musty quality to the aroma - the expected chocolate and coffee smells are there, but the wheat mixes things up, almost giving the beer a weizenbock character - the flavor is very weizenbock - caramel and toffee and that wheat earthy tartness are quite strong - espresso bitterness, bakers chocolate and a flaked oat slickness let you know this is a stout, though - very creamy and flavorful, and the wheat works quite well (I expected otherwise).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
mvcramer (243) - Lexington, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 16, 2007
Wonderful beer, especially for a pretty random, unique style. Pours a deep rich black with a thick, lasting brown head. First taste was a wonderful introduction of my tastebuds to coffee and chocolate notes. Not as heavy as other Imperial Stouts that Iíve had, but defitnitely a unique flavor. I really enjoyed this. I live in Boston and picked it up at Caponeís outside of Philadelphia this past weekend - I wish that this one was more readily available to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 16, 2007
The aroma has mild dusty/grassy notes that detract from the lesser dark fruit and chocolate notes. The body is solid black and holds a lasting finger sized mocha head. Sweet dark fruit, burnt grains and coffee, black licorice, milk and dark chocolate and blueberries. I canít really pick out the wheat, but then my palate is kind of shitty so there is that. On the whole itís a good beer that just fails to completely grab me and doesnít help itself by being fairly thin for the style, in the finish.