overall
Brewed by HaandBryggeriet (Norway)
Style: Imperial Stout
Drammen, Norway

RATINGS: 882   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
"Double" (imperial) wheat stout.
This imperial really strikes back. From a strange country far, far away, comes the only Imperial Wheat Stout in the known universe. Once again, the ’Hand’ brewery - four guys brewing in their spare time, on an absurdly small scale - boldly goes where no brewery has gone before.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - NOV 4, 2007
At first sip I thought maybe I wouldn’t be able to drink this. Way too over the top was my first impression . But the finish on this brew is just fantastic. Flavour is your typical heavy dark chocolate stout, and once your mouth gets over that initial shock, the rest is pure heaven. I was sad when the bottle was gone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
str023 (123) - Stokmarknes, NORWAY - SEP 21, 2011
Pours a thick pitch black body with a medium brown head. The first sip raises my eyebrows. It starts out with a sweet chocolate taste which gradually changes into a dry and bitter cocoa with a hint of licorice. You can taste the wheat, but it is dominated by a complex roastyness which truly is impressive. Nice and oily mouthfeel. Great wheat stout from HaandBryggeriet!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimmiec (122) - Louisiana, USA - MAY 8, 2010
500-ml bottle (batch 137) Phillipe’s Lafayette, LA - Aroma: vanilla, anise, molasses, dried fruit, caramel, smokey; Appearance: opaque, jet-black color, tan to brown head, little laces; Flavor: sweet, salty, bitter, roasted, chocolate, ; Mouthfeel: medium to full bodied, creamy texture, soft to average carbonation; Overall: smooth, low specialty malt, fruity flavored and aromatic complex beer tempered by the wheat with a strong bitter-dry finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MissouriBrent (122) - Missouri, USA - OCT 28, 2010
Smells of roast malts and alcohol. The aroma is incredible and smells better than most chocolate. Pour pitch black with a huge dense dark brown head. Lots of carbonation. Wonderful dark malt flavors. Not overly sweet. For as dark and malty as the flavors are, the aftertaste is surprisingly clean and within ten seconds you have almost no taste left at all. This is a great beer that stands on its own, but I can’t help but imagine pairing it with chocolate lava cake. Delicious!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bermod (119) - Jyväskylä, FINLAND - MAY 25, 2008
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2008 Roasted and burnt malts in aroma. Slightly licorice also. Flavor is very burnt, cocoa and coffee. Like Koff Porter, but much more burnt and thinner mouthfeel. Relatively thin body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Flyer (118) - Hartland, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 14, 2008
A big, big stout with a lot going on. Pours inky dark with a creamy head. Aroma is smoky. Initial flavor impression is vinous, quickly followed by raisin/prune and a powerul undercurrent of roasty/burnt coffee notes. Ambitious without being over the top. Recommended.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
crusianbeer (116) - Texas, USA - OCT 2, 2010
weird, this actually smells wheaty... if blindfolded this would be presumed to be a hefe or a bad pale... I did not expect that. oh, the taste on this is VERY sweet and smooth. This is unlike anything I have ever had. you NEED to try this, just for its unusual character. More brewers need to make a wheat imperial stout. It is a style I could see coming into its own. no bitter finish. Wow, I so want more of this, I am kicking myself for not buying more. I am a Russian Imp stout freak, and this is so different from the norm that I am a little giddy about it. BUY it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerSquare (116) - - MAY 18, 2012
This beer is confounding to me because it’s one of the few that just completely overwhelms. To me it tastes significantly stronger than it actually is, and has such a thick, distinctive character to it that it just takes over-- the couple times I"ve had it, I"ve not really wanted to drink anything else. Just let it have its way with me and be gone. So, good, and incredibly interesting, but no real drinkability for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
southamptonsam (115) - New York, USA - OCT 16, 2008
Forgot about it being a wheat stout and I kept wondering why it tasted different than any other Imperial Stout. Low carbonation, lovely oily feel, liquid licorice. Very smooth. Great beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
allendodd (114) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 8, 2009
Initial nose is a bitter chocolate and the head is a quickly dissipating brown. Mouth feel is rough and roasty with grain flavors dominating. Mid-palate caught me off guard with a flavor I can describe as black raspberry followed by chocolate tobacco. Go figure - that’s what I wrote and I still remember being surprised. This one was a bit rough on the mouth and finished with a dry bitter chocolate. This bottle was two or three years old (I need to be more consistent about dating stuff before I put it down) so I don’t think that it is going to mellow a bunch with age. I love the story on the brewers, but with all the great Imp Stouts out there, a 3.6 or 3.7 won’t coax a return trip from me. Sorry guys.