overall
Brewed by HaandBryggeriet (Norway)
Style: Traditional Ale
Drammen, Norway

RATINGS: 827   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Once, every farm in Norway was required by law to brew its own ale. All of that ale had a natural smoky taste because the malt was kilned by fire, and most of it was spiced with juniper berries. Norwegian Wood, a recreation of that traditional style, is made by the "Hand Brewery" - four guys brewing in their spare time, on an absurdly small scale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6396) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - DEC 28, 2007
Bottle (batch 70) from Kan and shared with Tom: Muddled brown with a small fading head and minimal lace. The aroma has notes of flowers, smoke, plum, juniper berry, liquorice, caramel and chocolate. The taste has sweet malt and wood with a herbal and spice undertone. A bit fruity before leading towards a smoky and ashy finish. The mouth feel is sprite and aggressive with a chalky and dry finish, With just a bit more body this would rock. Still a unique beer you should try.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 27, 2007
Aroma is reminiscent of a gin and tonic. The beer flavor itself is rather light, throwing it a bit out of balance with the smoke and juniper.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - DEC 26, 2007
I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me... She showed me her room, isn’t it good, norwegian wood? She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere, So I looked around and I noticed there wasn’t a chair. I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine We talked until two and then she said, "It’s time for bed" She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh. I told her I didn’t and crawled off to sleep in the bath And when I awoke, I was alone, this bird had flown So I lit a fire, isn’t it good, norwegian wood. Bottle from Enjoyit via trade. The pour was a slightly cloudy brown with some lighter golden highlights. A very foamy (as usual from these guys) head appeared, at least three-fingers tall yet only provided a bit of lacing. Belgian yeast comes forth in the aroma initially before giving way to smoky peat, earth, pine and then, albeit briefly, some tart berry that I’ll assume was the junipers. The flavor is smoke initially with some light caramel sweetness and then some pine. Relatively thin mouthfeel kept me from calling this a four point beer. Thanks Svend!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
CapFlu (4733) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 25, 2007
(500ml bottle) Purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle for $13.99. Large, lasting almond head with a deep orange-brown body. Nose of smoked weeds. Cranberry flavour mingled with a overly strong smoked flavour which turned me off.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - DEC 22, 2007
Hazy amber/brown. Small, off white head. Nose of smoke, wood, malt, earthy herbs, light twang, and subtle floral/fruity notes. Same flavors- smokey, malty, earthy, herbal. Cool stuff. Medium to medium/full body, just smoother than balanced carbonation. Real easy to drink. How about 5L mini kegs?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 22, 2007
very large light tan head. Rich, complex aroma which contains fruit, wood, spearmint, and slight must. Nice roasted and bitter flavor made more interesting by the slight musty and yeast flavors. Crisp finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bitbucket (2160) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - DEC 21, 2007
Bottle. Pours hazy dark amber with a fluffy and lasting off-white head. Aroma of caramel, wood, maple and smoke. Almost bacon-y. Medium body and carbonation. Softly sweet taste with the same notes as the aroma. Smoky dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bgburdman9 (859) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - DEC 19, 2007
Light smokey woody aroma. Sweet caramel maltiness maybe a little chocolate. pretty smooth flavor and easy to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - DEC 16, 2007
Bottle: Dark murky ebony/ruby, foamy head, no lacing. Nose of rauch and peat malt, light caramel and bright yeast with a touch of hops and alcohol in the tail. Nice full body, tons of smoke, one dimensional though, good mouthfeel. Woody, nice body, nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2416) - California, USA - DEC 15, 2007
Reddish amber, moderate head with decent lacing and retention. Aroma is smokey, notes of caramel, wood, juniper... though I wouldn’t have known unless I read the description. Interesting.