overall
Brewed by HaandBryggeriet (Norway)
Style: Smoked
Drammen, Norway

RATINGS: 301   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Røyk Uten Ild (Smoke Without Fire) is our smoky beer, here we have tried to make a beer as smoky as we can using our smoked malt from Weiermann. We have made a fairly dark and flavourful beer. Apart from the special malt the rest of the malt bill (86%) is smoked malt. You could also say that this is a smoked wheat beer, because we have used our wheat beer yeast here. The beer is not scary but actually very nice even for those that aren’t smoke beer fanatics....try it and you will see. Contains malted barley, Amarillo hops, wheat beer yeast, and lots of smoked malt from Bamberg, Germany. 8% alc, 33 ibu, 48 ebc. Serving temp 8 - 12C or 46 - 53F.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rdixon77 (601) - Georgia, USA - NOV 27, 2013
Nice sweet smoked beer. Light brown color. Sweet caramel and chocolate in the nose and a light campfire smokiness. The taste follows, very subtle and a little ashy. A hint of hop bitterness. Pretty easy to drink for a smoked beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Frulertruler (107) - San Rafael, SPAIN - NOV 11, 2013
Botella. Muy agradable el ahumado sin ser molesto y cansino bien integrado con notas de café y chocolate, con un acabado seco y ligeramente ahumado

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RumRunner101 (732) - Alberta, CANADA - NOV 3, 2013
Medium brown pour. Smoked meat nose. Full bodied with smokey malt, ash, smoked bacon, pear. Not the most intense smoked beer. It’s growing on me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
stantheman (612) - British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 1, 2013
Bottle from Liberty Wine Merchants on The Drive in Vancouver. I’ll save readers the tedium of my descriptions. Others have described it better than I.

I love this as a winter beer! It has the characteristics of a good imperial porter or stout. My sole complaint is that I really don’t detect much smoke. I’ve had smoked porters that were obviously smoky, but not this baby. If I wasn’t looking for it I think I’d miss it, which means I may be imagining it. Heaven forbid!

Still a great dark winter beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mjollnir (386) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - NOV 1, 2013
500mL bottle, 16/9/10. Pours clear mahogany with brick red highlights anfd a dense, persistent off-white head. The smoke in this bottle takes a back seat to a rich dark fruit cake, caramel, a little chocolate, some fruity esters and alcohol. Quite sweet, a bit of acid and mild bitterness. Medium-full bodied, a bit syrupy, soft carbonation leading to a reasonably short drying and slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
teddybeer (2162) - Madrid, SPAIN - OCT 19, 2013
Bottle. Very dark brown with an off-white head, moderate creamy, medium lasting, moderate lacing. Aroma is light smoky with hints of caramel, slightly coffee and roasted malts. Flavor has notes of roasted malts, moderate smokyness, leather and meat, slightly sweet notes. The final is roasty with notes of light bitterness and smoke.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
WheatKing (1236) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 29, 2013
Bottle. Pours brown, tan head. Aroma of campfire, toffee, berry, roast. Flavour is campfire, licorice, berry, roast. Simple but rockin’. Drank it with a friend just getting into craft, warned her away from it because of the smoke but she ended up calling it the best beer she’d ever had so there ya go.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DocJitsu (824) - Florida, USA - SEP 4, 2013
Pours a murky tobacco brown color with a large tan head with good retention. White pepper, cola, and medium-roast malt on the nose. Mouthfeel is smooth with fine scrubbiness on the rear of the palate. Medium-roast malt and some ripe, dark fruit flavors. Finishes with a Hickory, Liquid Smoke flavor.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rangi (549) - NEW ZEALAND - SEP 3, 2013
Big, smooth, rich and smokey. Really liked this it was brilliant. Would need to buy another to go over again but I just remember the smooth rich and great smokey aspects that made up this beer. Great with the rib eye steak cooked on the BBQ.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
banii (236) - Trondheim, NORWAY - AUG 29, 2013
Nydelig mørk farge med stort tett skum. Smaken er noe søt med fyldig maltpreg og en del mindre røyksmak enn jeg hadde forventet. En god øl som varer.