overall

RATINGS: 1737   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Adam is a recreation of a historic beer-style, originally made in Dortmund, Germany and was the first Beer ever released from this Brewery. He is made with Northwest hops, organic pilsner malt, and a variety of specialty grains. The beer is rich and smokey, with notes of chocolate and dark fruit. Best served as a dessert beer. It is great with cigars, or just a warm fire and good company.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Batch #54. I had great expectations for this beer. It poured a dark brown color with an ENORMOUS amount of foam. Never seen a beer with this much head - went everywhere and couldn't stop it. I think I got about 9oz out of the 12oz bottle. …skip ahead about ten minutes... Not much lacing on the glass. The aroma was extremely malty with other aromas being fruits and some chocolate. The flavor was a little too strong at first, but very good once I became used to it. The flavor is malty with hints of chocolate, just like the aroma. This is a very thick bodied beer, but surprisingly smooth. The alcohol is moderately apparent as well. I really liked this beer once I got over the initial kick.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - NOV 21, 2003
If you look down through some of these ratings, you'll see the word smoky. Belive it. I wasn't going to rate this beer--I got a bit shitty tonite and didn't want to rate when I'm wacked, but Hair of The Dog Adam tasted so weird that I HAD to. I dug a bottle of Batch 48 out. Very full head that grew so huge I had to let the head subside in order to pour the rest of the bottle. Dark brown color--like a stout but a touch lighter. Very prominent hop nose with barleywine maltiness in the smell--BUT NOT THE TASTE. I see lots of other people commenting on carmel and malt--I don't get much of that --it's a solid blend of smokiness/mustiness (like peat smoked malt if you've ever brewed with it). I can't say I love this beer, but If you like rauchbier or if you want to try something that at least will get you attention--buy this beer!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - NOV 20, 2003
Batch #55. Poured with a huge head (my fault for not going slow), the foam was thick and really hung in there. So I guess I really needed to age this, at least that's my assumption. Sadly, I found it to take a too much fortitude to get through the whole glass; I felt like it was something my mother made drink as a kid when I was ill. It's very bold - vinous with dark fruit, coffee, smokey and musty with an astringent finish. I applaud the attempt, and I do plan to pick up another bottle to set aside (for years), but I can't provide a decent rating of this batch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TChrome (1447) - Bedford, Texas, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Aroma of this ale is nice with sweet malt and is to me barley winish. Full marks for appearance. Very attractive, very, very dark brown with creamy off white head that is fully retained. Flavor is tasty and fully developed. Flavor is initially sweet, then broadens and expande significantly. There are hops in there and the finish is almost eternal. Definite alcohol burn on the way down, though one does not taste the alcohol. High rating is fully justified to my taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - NOV 7, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2004 Batch #52. A cloudy deep amber/brown with a thick tan head. Amazing aroma of caramel, sweet malt, lots of plum, cherry, raisins and a hint of roast. A rich, creamy palate with a nice alcohol warmth. A decent amount of carbonation tingles the tongue. The flavor is slightly vinous, with an explosion of raisin, plum, caramel, smoke, and a bit of chocolate. Very sweet overall. Even better than I expected. This is an excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Batch #25, very smokey & malty aroma. Nice tan head that lasted for some time unlike slob's mine didn't disipate for such a high alcohol beer. Intense smokey and malty flavor but I did notice a slight oxidation but that can be expected in a 5 yr old beer. I will have another one tonight as I rated this one last night. A very good beer that will finish off the day tonight! I would like to get a recent batch and compare the 2 side by side I still have 5 more bottles of batch 25 yet, so I'll try and get a recent batch soon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sloth (2636) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - NOV 1, 2003
Batch #25, 98 vintage. Found this sucker while i was diggin through my beer stash the other day. Poured damn near flat. Slight light brown head that fades into a small thin island that floats right on top the lenght of this beer. Hazy dark brown color. Nose of butterscotch, roasted malts and some smoke and spices. Full/medium bodied, slick oily/coating mouthfeel Nice roasty, chocolatey, licoricey flavors with a slight mustiness that doesnt hurt the flavor profile at all. Finish is fairly dry, woody , minty. Nice little surprise find.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tidiaguy (168) - Hawley, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 31, 2003
BATCH #25 This brew may be a little to complex for my taste. The beer looked very much like a cola in the glass. The head ,light brown, setteled fast leaving a minimal lace floating on top for the duration. The aroma was slightly musty with an earthy rasin, licorice sent. The taste was where the complexity came in. A woody, whisky taste with a hint of malt sweetness. The carbonation was a little agressive for such a flavor. The ending was thin and oily with an alcohol bitterness. Over all intense, I will try one again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MarkR (68) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Bottle…Batch 55 Deep, dark brown with plum highlights under a huge grayish-tan head, barely controlled by an extremely careful and slow pour. Phenomenal head retention for such a strong brew! Stunningly complex aroma of treacle, dark fruits, mesquite wood, caramel, and spice under a heavy blanket of smoke. Astonishingly aromatic and rich. The flavor is like nothing I’ve encountered. Dark fruits (plums, prunes, raisons, red grapes, figs), cedar and mesquite wood, chocolate, roasted malts, and caramel weave in and out under a thick layer of smoke. Begins slightly sweet and fruity, then turns spicy on the finish. Little-to-no hop presence. Smallest hint of alcohol on the finish, as the 10% is really well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium in thickness, with a smooth roundness. A unique and singular brew, I’ve love to try some well-aged vintages. I could spend an entire day analyzing this beer. Wow…just wow.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Poured out of 12 oz. bottle, bought at Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel, CA 9/9/03. Batch #34. Pours with very little, slate-gray head that disappears completely very quickly. Slight action of carbonation, and even a little bit of lacing for awhile, but this stuff looks thick and oily. Very dark brown, almost black, with lots of sediment. Smell is amazing, fruity and sweet (plum?) with a literally intoxicating maltiness. Smells slightly acidic, like grape juice. Hints of chocolate, lots of berry. I only wish there were a head to give up a little more of this amazing aroma. Body is incredibly full-- even puts the World Wide to shame-- creamy and, again, oily. Taste is immediately malty, very sharply fruity on the edges and back of the mouth, and subtly dark roasted with a hint of bitterness. Time, air, and new sips reveal new olfactory and taste experiences, like I felt once that I was drinking a liquefied chocolate truffle. Delicious flavors, all. Still plum, berry, and now dark malt and something reminiscent of ash with a tiny hint of smokiness. Feel the alcohol immediately-- not only is it warming in the throat and belly, but it also made me gasp once or twice. Perfectly smooth finish, very long but mellowing and subtle with the malts, smokiness, and oiliness hanging around most prominently. Increasing bitterness through the bottle, and this stuff sucks all of the moisture off of your tongue as it takes over your taste buds. Gotta keep the tongue moist by taking in and savoring another swig! This stuff is fantastic right now (after years of aging), and although I haven't tried other batches, I don't think this beer can get any better.