overall

RATINGS: 1711   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Adam is a recreation of a historic beer-style, originally made in Dortmund, Germany and was the first Beer ever released from this Brewery. He is made with Northwest hops, organic pilsner malt, and a variety of specialty grains. The beer is rich and smokey, with notes of chocolate and dark fruit. Best served as a dessert beer. It is great with cigars, or just a warm fire and good company.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
egajdzis (5401) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 7, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 8, 2003 Poured a golden amber color with a large head. Has a malty alcohol aroma. Taste was mild malt with a big kick of alcohol. I was expecting less of an alcohol taste. Thanks BrianO for letting me try this!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 3, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2003 (Batch #25) The beer is very dark with a fudge brownie nose. There is little to no head on the beer. The palate is light for the beers gravity. The palate is one-dimensional with chocolate being the dominant flavor. The finish is smooth and long with a complex blend of caramel and coffee. It has been a long time since I have sampled this beer and I remember it being more robust and complex. I feel that this beer has been in my cellar too long. My feeling is that the beer would be best consumed no longer than two years after bottling.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
kentuckyrob (4) - USA - SEP 1, 2003 does not count
One of my first beers I tried when I moved to Portland. Very strong over the top but overall taste and aroma are intoxicating, no the least. I still go back to this one a lot. Kind of hard to find.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kinz (3361) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 30, 2003
Wow. Poured a deep black/brown, small head that lingered much longer than I thought it would. The aroma was of spruce and chocolate liquer. The flavor was just amazingly complex. Spruce, bittersweet chocolate, raisins, port, chambord, and then an almost burnt flavor. An absolutely stunning beer, perfect after dinner drink. Seems to beg for a cigar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 21, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2007 Dark burgundy-brown ale. The head thinned fast but left a sheet of gravity-defying lace. Smelled like raisin bread, prunes, and chocolate. Flavors of peat smoke, dried cherries, chocolate, fruitcake, and a pungent earthiness. Excellent complexity imparted by the beasties that reside within. Superb, rich and smooth palate. An American classic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Pours very dark brown, not much aroma, but what is there is nice and sweet. Nice malty character, nice head. I wish I could get this where I live. Why are the best beers unavailable here. :-(

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
gerdy555 (163) - Ohio, USA - AUG 8, 2003
alright to start off i filled my glass with foam, i even tilted the glass, all foam. has a nice malty aroma to it. pours a dark murky brown. flavor is a huge malt flavor, alcohol warming, and very little hops. this is a great beer and i'll defiantly have to have it again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - AUG 7, 2003
Pours an opaque dark brown with a highly reactive tan head that stays and forms complex shapes and formations in the glass, very unique. The lacing is excellent as well, layers upon layers of sheets from the top of the glass to the very bottom. Aroma is very complex with a smokey hop nose with notes of raisin and some sour funkiness. Alcohol is also detectable in the aroma. This is a beer I could just sit here and smell and still think I'm drinking it. Flavor is extremely smokey with notes of burnt chocolate and coffee, a very nice use of chocolate malt in this. The smokiness is slightly overpowering but the alcohol pulls up the back and warms you up as you drink it. It has a very full body with a comparable mouth feel, slightly sour and bitter. This is very much a campfire beer. It's in the middle of a strong ale and an imperial stout. This is my first Hair of the Dog beer and I'm very optimistic now to try some of their other beers.

beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 4, 2003
Good traditional ale. Malty, fruity(plum),smokey and lots of other flavors. Finishes smooth, creamy, and smokey finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrDick (347) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 3, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2003 Re-rate: On tap at Toronado. This is the way it should be. Dark, creamy caramel and toffee. Delicious stuff. Original rating: Batch 52. I can't trust myself anymore. Rich and smooth, chocolate and smokey, earthy and roasted. There are so many amazing flavors fighting for control in this ale. Definitely wouldn't want to waste an adam on the unitiated.