RATINGS: 1751   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Adam is a recreation of a historic beer-style, originally made in Dortmund, Germany and was the first Beer ever released from this Brewery. He is made with Northwest hops, organic pilsner malt, and a variety of specialty grains. The beer is rich and smokey, with notes of chocolate and dark fruit. Best served as a dessert beer. It is great with cigars, or just a warm fire and good company.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - DEC 3, 2003
I have been wanting to try this forever. Had a bottle after work last night. Pours a dark mahogany with blonde highlights. The colossal head forms without much cascading, and just sits there on top of the brew staring at me. The tan head is the color and consistancy of a Coke Icee. The nose is very complete with alcohol predominating, figs, anise, coffee, berries, plums, and raisins. This brew is literally bursting with flavor. The brew starts very sweet and warm in the front, transitioning to a moderately acidic middle. The finish is long and roasted. The full body is creamy, fizzy, and feels a bit cloying at the finish. A bit sweet for my liking, but a solid brew nonetheless.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 26, 2003
I’m indebted to both Jazz88 & Sham for hooking me up with this beer, within days of one another, Fantastic RateBeeriens!

Batch # 56 – A fresh one, courtesy of Sham.
Ok, Ron I had a little different experience. This particular Adam poured an exceptionally dark crimson brown body and a dense respectable two-finger toffee colored head. The aroma is intense, winter spiced apple cider, prune juice, caramel, overly ripened bananas, carrot cake, Amazing! A thick creamy palate, prickly on the tongue…. The flavor is full and toasty, Big chocolaty malt likeness. I also pick up on raisins, figs, plums, a dark herbal tea rendering, notes of chewing tobacco …. This is an intense and amazing creation!
I can’t wait to let my other bottle age for several months and then rerate this brew.
Thanks Guys!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - NOV 26, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2003 Batch#55. Poured a huge head that took forever to die down. I actually had to scoop a bit out.Dark murky brown. Aroma is of raisins and figs with an overall earthiness. Flavor is malty sweet like a Belgian, fruity with an alcohol kick. Has a sharp carbonated mouthfeel. Overall a pretty unique brew with alot of character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Pours with a huge head that takes a long time to dissipate. Aroma is of dark fruit and alcohol. Flavor is of rich dark fruit, leather, and a slight alcohol. A bittersweet chocolate mixes with the fruit in the finish. The heavy carbonation lightens up what would otherwise be a very heavy and hard to drink beer. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Batch #54. I had great expectations for this beer. It poured a dark brown color with an ENORMOUS amount of foam. Never seen a beer with this much head - went everywhere and couldn't stop it. I think I got about 9oz out of the 12oz bottle. …skip ahead about ten minutes... Not much lacing on the glass. The aroma was extremely malty with other aromas being fruits and some chocolate. The flavor was a little too strong at first, but very good once I became used to it. The flavor is malty with hints of chocolate, just like the aroma. This is a very thick bodied beer, but surprisingly smooth. The alcohol is moderately apparent as well. I really liked this beer once I got over the initial kick.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - NOV 21, 2003
If you look down through some of these ratings, you'll see the word smoky. Belive it. I wasn't going to rate this beer--I got a bit shitty tonite and didn't want to rate when I'm wacked, but Hair of The Dog Adam tasted so weird that I HAD to. I dug a bottle of Batch 48 out. Very full head that grew so huge I had to let the head subside in order to pour the rest of the bottle. Dark brown color--like a stout but a touch lighter. Very prominent hop nose with barleywine maltiness in the smell--BUT NOT THE TASTE. I see lots of other people commenting on carmel and malt--I don't get much of that --it's a solid blend of smokiness/mustiness (like peat smoked malt if you've ever brewed with it). I can't say I love this beer, but If you like rauchbier or if you want to try something that at least will get you attention--buy this beer!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - NOV 20, 2003
Batch #55. Poured with a huge head (my fault for not going slow), the foam was thick and really hung in there. So I guess I really needed to age this, at least that's my assumption. Sadly, I found it to take a too much fortitude to get through the whole glass; I felt like it was something my mother made drink as a kid when I was ill. It's very bold - vinous with dark fruit, coffee, smokey and musty with an astringent finish. I applaud the attempt, and I do plan to pick up another bottle to set aside (for years), but I can't provide a decent rating of this batch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TChrome (1448) - Bedford, Texas, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Aroma of this ale is nice with sweet malt and is to me barley winish. Full marks for appearance. Very attractive, very, very dark brown with creamy off white head that is fully retained. Flavor is tasty and fully developed. Flavor is initially sweet, then broadens and expande significantly. There are hops in there and the finish is almost eternal. Definite alcohol burn on the way down, though one does not taste the alcohol. High rating is fully justified to my taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - NOV 7, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2004 Batch #52. A cloudy deep amber/brown with a thick tan head. Amazing aroma of caramel, sweet malt, lots of plum, cherry, raisins and a hint of roast. A rich, creamy palate with a nice alcohol warmth. A decent amount of carbonation tingles the tongue. The flavor is slightly vinous, with an explosion of raisin, plum, caramel, smoke, and a bit of chocolate. Very sweet overall. Even better than I expected. This is an excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Batch #25, very smokey & malty aroma. Nice tan head that lasted for some time unlike slob's mine didn't disipate for such a high alcohol beer. Intense smokey and malty flavor but I did notice a slight oxidation but that can be expected in a 5 yr old beer. I will have another one tonight as I rated this one last night. A very good beer that will finish off the day tonight! I would like to get a recent batch and compare the 2 side by side I still have 5 more bottles of batch 25 yet, so I'll try and get a recent batch soon.