overall

RATINGS: 1708   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Adam is a recreation of a historic beer-style, originally made in Dortmund, Germany and was the first Beer ever released from this Brewery. He is made with Northwest hops, organic pilsner malt, and a variety of specialty grains. The beer is rich and smokey, with notes of chocolate and dark fruit. Best served as a dessert beer. It is great with cigars, or just a warm fire and good company.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - MAY 18, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2003 Bottle - Batch 53 - This smelled like chocolate covered, smoked figs to me. It hid the alcohol very well. The chocolate lingers and lingers in the aftertaste. I didn't get any smokey taste. It probably hid behind the chocolate. This style reminds me of an Imperial Stout. Not a beer I would try again, even though I love Imperial Stouts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
WestsideThreat (13) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 11, 2003
I can't classify this beer. Belgian essence with German smoked grains. Huge beer, multiple layers as it slides through my mouth and down my throat. It has a death grip on my tongue by the coat it has made. No head and very little carbonation. A must try

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - MAY 7, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2004 I’ve been waiting on this one for a while, and I figured that my birthday and my #100 rating were good excuses to bring it out. Pours a beautiful ruby red color with a large tan head. Aroma is malty, smokey, and creamy, with caramel and dark fruit notes. Flavor is over-the-top smokey, with dates and figs present, cherry notes, only the slightest bit of sweetness, and a pretty bitter, hoppy finish. Carbonation is pretty obvious, maybe a bit too much. The alcohol is present in the "strength" of the flavor, but it does not really have alcoholic notes. Overall a nice and pretty interesting brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - MAY 6, 2003
Bottle - Batch 55: Rich, creamy, dense, nitro-like head. Wet nose. Heavily smoked/burnt mouthfeel. Strong hop bitterness. In your face alcohol smell/taste. Can't really define the style. It's kind of a "West Coast Imperial Belgian Rauchbier" Yum!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - MAY 2, 2003
thick tan head - sweetly and floraly scented, extremely thick and dark, completely impossible to see through, the flavor a lil smoky, chocolate, and extremely complex, with a bitter aftertaste on the far back of my tongue

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MartinT (8024) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 2, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2010 Raisins and plump prunes cover the dark-chocolate-filled pumpernickel bread as a cloud of salty smoke falls on this harmonious flavor profile...Then, earthy, citrusy hops team up with roasted malts before meeting light tartness in a finish where an indecipherable flowery wisp adds even more pizzazz...As effervescent as a Belgian Strong Ale, Adam is always immensely complex (even more so with the yeast pour?) and devilishly entertaining, even if it seems to change from time to time...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - APR 26, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2010 Re rate 5/14/2010 - Had from 12oz. bottle from Hi Time Wines (Batch 75). Pours dark brown / black with thick tan head that takes a few minutes to subside. Lacing is good and slight head lasts until the end. Aroma is sweet and fruity with malts and raisins. Taste is rich with chocolate, alcohol, fruits, malty. I wish I remembered my original tasting of this beer, but I didn’t much care for this batch. Alcohol is much too strong in the finish and the smoky flavors that I previously detected are missing. It’s tough to go from a 3.9 to a 3.4, but I will revisit this as I usually love Hair of the Dog’s brews. This batch just missed the mark. Re-rate: 7/4/6/3/14 3.4

Had from bottle on April 18, 2003 at the Suffed Sandwich
Wow. We bought a nice large bottle to share amongst the table and I was pleasantly surprised. You can definitely smell the aroma of hops and smoke. The appearance is also quite nice - absolutely no head with a garnet coloring. The beer has a very strong flavor with a strong, smoky aftertaste. Very heavy, but very good - a beer, similar to a porter - that would just be good next to the fire on a cold night.
Original rating: 7/4/8/5/15 for 3.9

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Verne (263) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - APR 19, 2003
Man what a head on this thing, it won't go away and I can't kill it. And someone claims not to have had a head at all, go figure? Burnt sugar, toast, thick, chewy and bitter. This one will warm a fellow on a cold night, so if you have no one to hold on such an occasion this beer will do in a pinch. I enjoyed it but it was a wee bit harsh. But then again some of the woman I used to try to get to know on one of those cold and lonely nights were just a bit harsher than this beer. A must try it will be love or hate

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mreeves (275) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - APR 8, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2005 Very dark red color, nice head and good carbonation. Definite smoky flavor, very complex and difficult to categorize. Unique and wonderful. One of the best beers I’ve ever had.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 24, 2003
batch 55: Deep garnet colour, generous tan head. Sweet aroma of burnt cane sugar was not a great start, flavour is probably what a cane field tastes like right after harvest. Ash and sugar. I'm not going with the crowd on this one, I think it's over the top in the burnt flavours department and it's sickly sweet too.