overall

RATINGS: 1712   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Adam is a recreation of a historic beer-style, originally made in Dortmund, Germany and was the first Beer ever released from this Brewery. He is made with Northwest hops, organic pilsner malt, and a variety of specialty grains. The beer is rich and smokey, with notes of chocolate and dark fruit. Best served as a dessert beer. It is great with cigars, or just a warm fire and good company.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - APR 26, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2010 Re rate 5/14/2010 - Had from 12oz. bottle from Hi Time Wines (Batch 75). Pours dark brown / black with thick tan head that takes a few minutes to subside. Lacing is good and slight head lasts until the end. Aroma is sweet and fruity with malts and raisins. Taste is rich with chocolate, alcohol, fruits, malty. I wish I remembered my original tasting of this beer, but I didn’t much care for this batch. Alcohol is much too strong in the finish and the smoky flavors that I previously detected are missing. It’s tough to go from a 3.9 to a 3.4, but I will revisit this as I usually love Hair of the Dog’s brews. This batch just missed the mark. Re-rate: 7/4/6/3/14 3.4

Had from bottle on April 18, 2003 at the Suffed Sandwich
Wow. We bought a nice large bottle to share amongst the table and I was pleasantly surprised. You can definitely smell the aroma of hops and smoke. The appearance is also quite nice - absolutely no head with a garnet coloring. The beer has a very strong flavor with a strong, smoky aftertaste. Very heavy, but very good - a beer, similar to a porter - that would just be good next to the fire on a cold night.
Original rating: 7/4/8/5/15 for 3.9

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Verne (263) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - APR 19, 2003
Man what a head on this thing, it won't go away and I can't kill it. And someone claims not to have had a head at all, go figure? Burnt sugar, toast, thick, chewy and bitter. This one will warm a fellow on a cold night, so if you have no one to hold on such an occasion this beer will do in a pinch. I enjoyed it but it was a wee bit harsh. But then again some of the woman I used to try to get to know on one of those cold and lonely nights were just a bit harsher than this beer. A must try it will be love or hate

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mreeves (275) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - APR 8, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2005 Very dark red color, nice head and good carbonation. Definite smoky flavor, very complex and difficult to categorize. Unique and wonderful. One of the best beers I’ve ever had.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 24, 2003
batch 55: Deep garnet colour, generous tan head. Sweet aroma of burnt cane sugar was not a great start, flavour is probably what a cane field tastes like right after harvest. Ash and sugar. I'm not going with the crowd on this one, I think it's over the top in the burnt flavours department and it's sickly sweet too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 20, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2003 Head exploded out of the glass after the gentle pour, I knew what to expect so I was careful. Cloudy deep brown color. Starts out crisp like a wheat but then molasses and dark fruits kick in, filling out the body. Finishes somewhat sweet and smokey. Slight smokey chocolate nose. Tasty. Thanks to my man Dogbrick for the trade.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Very dark, very little head. A hint of spice, a little sweet, rounded out with a little roasted flavor. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - MAR 14, 2003
Aroma of dark fruit, yeast, touch of clove (almost spicy), concord grapes, light oak, light banana, light vanilla, cake stickiness, light molasses, and brown sugar. Sweet flavor, touch of salt, light smoke, light roastiness, with a light-moderate bitter finish. Quite interesting to say the least...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - MAR 13, 2003
A nice earthy brown-red color. The aroma hints at the fruit and malt flavors. A very good and tasty beer, very pleasurable. Great mouthfeel. Not bitter at all but a nice bite at the end, from the alcohol I presume. I'm going to have to have a few more of these and then re-rate but I know i want more. Simple and complex taste at the same time, i just can't put my finger on it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - MAR 11, 2003
Smokey malt aroma with hints of dark dried fruits. Ruby brown color, foamed over initially, but settled down and maintained a decent head throughout. Intensely smokey flavor, decent underlying malt, some subtle dried fruits (dates, raisins), and a spicy hop finish. Smooth full mouthfeel. A little too smokey for my tastes. Wouldn't recommend it as a dessert beer, but it would probably be good with a cigar (as per the commercial description).

mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 2, 2003
Batch 52.I hate to say it but it seems every Hair of the Dog ale I buy at Trader Joes is a huge over foamer.Fortunately that is not where I bought this bottle.Malty fruity grape aroma.Fruity chocolate flavors of cherries,peaches and plums with a mild sour finish.Very smooth with minimal hop bitterness.