overall

RATINGS: 1697   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Adam is a recreation of a historic beer-style, originally made in Dortmund, Germany and was the first Beer ever released from this Brewery. He is made with Northwest hops, organic pilsner malt, and a variety of specialty grains. The beer is rich and smokey, with notes of chocolate and dark fruit. Best served as a dessert beer. It is great with cigars, or just a warm fire and good company.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Indra (2613) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - SEP 13, 2002
Batch 51. Sharply intense and unique vinous, fruity (plum, red grape), herbal aroma, also with some faint alcohol, spice, raisin and some woodiness. Very dark and opaque reddish brown color, with a very slight head and light effervescence. I gave this bottle a half-swirl, pouring out some sediment but leaving part in the bottle. Flavor has some bittersweet chocolate, dark bread and some acidic, sour fruitiness. Finish is lightly bitter, tart, alcoholic, nutty and malty, lingering awhile. I’ve never had anything quite like this. It would be fascinating to try 5 and 10 year old vintages. I keep wanting to compare it to some other concoction I’ve run across in the world of beer, but there’s really nothing thus far. I had this out of a snifter after puzzling over the decision briefly. I think it worked.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 12, 2002
Carmel smell. Nice head and beautiful dark color. Taste is ok. The 10% alcohol content is nice, but it taste like someone dropped a shot of Vodka in the beer and distracts from the taste. Well, at least it should make the rest of my reviews interesting. Dang it, I wish it was batch 42 instead of 46, then I would have all the answers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rich42 (128) - USA - SEP 10, 2002
interesting style - syrupy sweet and thick... chocolate, slight hint of smoke and alchohol. touch of spiciness. deep garnet/brown in color - a port of beers. definitely for desert.

gbzia (195) - Cedar Knolls, New Jersey, USA - AUG 28, 2002
Have had both bottle and draft and found both to be great. A nice spicey flavor and at 10% quite warming.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 14, 2002
The bartender first told me it was a Scwartzbier style,after my first sip I was thinking more of a bock,double bock even, considering it’s warming affect.Very malty and hearty.

joet (2165) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - AUG 6, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2010 Brilliantly defined and bright. This is a primarily malty brew with layers of wood, roast, and fruit. An interesting tobacco spicy finish. Very textural. A beer that makes special occasions. Also, this seems to have gotten more consistently awesome than any other beer I have ever tried. After trying many other "bests", and in terms of consistency, it’s very clear to me that Adam is rightfully the very best beer in the world.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3671) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - AUG 4, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2005 Batch 36. I must not be man enough for this beer, because despite my best efforts and my appreciation of what this beer does well, I couldn’t squeeze enjoyment from the experience. I took this for a barleywine at first taste. Lovely dark and murky appearance. Malty aroma with considerable complexity in the mouth: early smokey and malty, then chocolatey and brandy, some vinuous notes, and the sweetness lingering on in the late finish. A bit acidic, a bit bitter. I never completely warmed to the flavor combinations, and I kept looking for water to cleanse my palate of it. Horses for courses, as they say. (Original rating: 7-5-7-5-14) // Later re-try from Batch 60. It strikes me that this is a gueuze/stout blend, with raisin-on-a-band-aid flavors. Side by side with Adam from the Wood, it is totally not the same beer. Massive whipped cream head forming mountainous peaks and valleys in my glass.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElBastardo (13) - Illinois, USA - AUG 2, 2002
Excellent smithers!Stoped by had this from the teet it was awesome,Great nose mixed with a wonderful oily body.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUL 31, 2002
’Yo A-DAWG’, the pour looks more like ’Guinness’, deep brown, cloudy me thinks, and a very large, creamy light chocolate head, and more lace than Per and Venom can shake a stick at. Nose is caramel, deep earthy malt, smokey, also a bit of peat muskyness, fresh ’Black Walnuts’ also come to mind. Front is malt, the top is medium, the finish is acidic, dry, nicely hopped and ’POW, SLAM, ZOWIE’ the alcohol hits you like your 5 ’X’ spouses looking for their back alimony!. One damn fine beer, and one I will have to find a local source for. Ranks #48 on my current 1000 master beer list. Thanks herbjones

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Nice dark garnet color. Great plum/ripe fruit aroma. Strong alcohol prescence that seems to soften at mid-bottle. Oak notes with a slight smokiness in the flavor. Overall, a very complex beer thats like nothing i’ve ever had.