overall

RATINGS: 1781   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Adam is a recreation of a historic beer-style, originally made in Dortmund, Germany and was the first Beer ever released from this Brewery. He is made with Northwest hops, organic pilsner malt, and a variety of specialty grains. The beer is rich and smokey, with notes of chocolate and dark fruit. Best served as a dessert beer. It is great with cigars, or just a warm fire and good company.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Dark red, approaching black, with a little white lace but no head at all. Hard to be sure that it is a beer or ale just by looking at it. First impression sipping is wonderful flavor and great big mouth feel. Sweet dark malt, and bitter hop, followed by caramel, clove, and banana (? surpringing in a barley malt, much more common in a wheat beer). Nice hoppiness in the long bitter finish. Alcohol is very present. Would have rated it higher, except that the alcohol content limits its drinkability ... not a good lunch beer or a session beer with a colleagues. More of a ’knock me out at the end of a long week’ sort of brew. I would have rated it much higher if it were an easier drink, instead of a sip and study beer. Still, well worth study, an absolutely tops American ale, and probably better than a rating of 4.1 would suggest. // Rerate 7 December. I rated it too low just because it is not a food or a session beer. It is a fantastic beer, it’s Saturday, I’m sharing a bottle, and it’s wonderful. 4.3 is more like it.

hopscotch (10563) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 6, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2008 Bottle... This beer rocks!... It reminds me of a Belgian Dubbel... but, I guess it’s not. The commercial description doesn’t lie there. The aroma contains notes of many things... a light splash of red wine vinegar stands out, but there are bursts of prunes and milk chocolate and alcohol. The appearance is that of prune juice, plain and simple. Not attractive... not unattractive. Almost no head nor lacing. High marks on flavor. Originality abounds. Sweet and tart, with prunes, milk chocolate and rich caramel up front. Well-balanced and tart on the backside. Warm alcohol is present from start to finish. Soft carbonation. Full-bodied with an oily, almost syrupy mouthfeel. A long, pleasantly bitter and tart finish. Excellent beer! Big thanks to herbjones for the trade... my first!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ARMed (625) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 4, 2002
Batch #51. This beer is a powerful big dog with a bite that will hurt you. A barley wine type ale with a strong flavor. Caught me by surprise a little. My first though was that it was too tangy and tart. It has a great sense of warmth and the alcohol is fairly well hidden. My problem with this beer was that the appearance was just not appealing. Dark cloudy and wisps of floating sediment were all negative too me. Also the beer had very little head and lacing. This may taste better with age , but it was just a little strong. A great sipping beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - DEC 3, 2002
head looks like honeycomb, possibly overcarbonated? powerful yeasty and fruity aroma, this beer probably required the most intense pour ever, my arm got tired, flavor has incredible barley/hop intensity with lots of smokey flavors and a sticky/winey palate

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - DEC 2, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 9, 2003 [BATCH 53] This beer seems so innocent sitting there on the shelf with that blank expression, just waiting to knock your unsuspecting ass over. I prefer not to read others' ratings before rating a beer myself so I figured (from the percentile) that this would be another excellent ale - full of hops and malt but nothing outrageously unusual; how wrong I was. I now understand (from the few HOTD beers I've had) that this brewery is nothing ordinary. The Adam pours a deep murky burgandy absolutely void of any carbonation, there is plenty of currant and alchohol on the nose. After taking a sip the currant stands out right away, accompanying this is a kind of salty muskiness you'd find in a good wine. This is an excellent palate beer. However, my only complaint, and it's a small one, is how the alchohol is a bit too prevalent for my tastes. I feel like every time I take a sip there is a burst of flavor which is quickly lessened by the alchohol presence. But, as I said, this is a small complaint. A wonderful beer that deserves solitude when drinking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - NOV 28, 2002
Batch 53. Tremendously rich Old Ale. Absolutely huge tobacco and molasses malt with long rich hop bitterness. Rather reminds me of good chewing tobacco. This a big old ale, handsome, but perhaps a bit lumbering. I prefer the Fred.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - NOV 28, 2002
Batch #53: This beer poured a very dark brownish black color. No light is getting through this one. It didn’t form much of a head, but maybe I had it a too cold or didn’t pour it right. It was a light tan color and did leave some lace. The aroma was of raisins and cherry, malt and some chocolate. Interesting flavor of a smokey fruit. It has a medium body and a glossy, somewhat burnt finish. A hint of the alcohol when it goes down. A nice beer that is probably better at a warmer temp. and with some aging.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fraternie (988) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 28, 2002
An amazingly complex beer loaded with all kinds of seperate flavors. Oak, plum and vanilla notes, smokey taste to it. Fairly thick beer with a nice head. My only complaint was the strong alcohol aftertaste. This got better as the beer warmed however, and with 10% abv, should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Among the elite of US beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2012 7/5/02: (Batch 52) What was lurking in the swampy browness that was ’adam’, my curiosity as been building and building, my heart pounding, a circular frothy thin line surrounded the brown swamp but the middle was barren... smoke, raisons, alcohol & wine like aromas filled the air...flavor was extremely complex with sourfilled smokiness & bitter chocolate covered raisons with sour grape lingerings in the finish, alcohol present but not overbearing and the carbination was barely noticeable, warming & pretty tasty, the aftertaste is extremely delightful & dessert-like...This is a Big Beer for a Big occassion, unfortunately I drank mine for the hell of it in the middle of the summer? But hey...
8/30/02: Kalamata olives with microscopic chocolate termites and salty snails sufficating in the burning sun..YO!..imagine a raisin piercing you with metal spikes into..through..out of..your fleshy brain tissue..Owe

look at my verbose nonsense above, all trying to analyze this shit and...shit, fuck analyzing shit yo, I spend $20/day on 12 oz bottles of Adam nowadays...it’s practically all I drink, and so I’m bumping up my rating to reflect reality and not what my past nerdy ass thought while overanalyzing the flavors and aromas of this shit. So, it goes from 4.1 to fuckin’ 4.5 or some shit. Shit. Muthafucka

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 18, 2002
Something about this beer was just not good. I have tried many beers but I just really didn’t like this brew as much as I thought that I would. Batch 53 might be the batch to overlook if there are other choices.