Hair of the Dog Apricot Fred
     click to upload

Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 1.81/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.22   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -
Apricot Fred is aged in French oak with Baird Family Farms apricots for 17 months

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
neepsntatties (1200) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 8, 2014
Past notes. On tap. Colour...hazy apricot-amber with no head. Nose...WTF!! Something’s terribly amiss here! Highly acetic with wafts of paradichlorobenzene! Palate...I’m afraid to try it but here goes....OMG! What the heck happened here?! Massive amounts of vinegar as well as something like floor cleaner (once when I was little, I stupidly tasted some floor cleaner on a dare, so I have an idea what it tastes like!). Not sure what happened with this beer, but something went terribly awry.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
VertBaconStrips (2069) - Assat, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 20, 2010
At HOTD, day off Matt release. Typed up on my notes ad my phones batteries were on their last legs.  wow. What a disaster. Massive vinegar eye watering mess. Almost nail polish. Time for an experiment. Helena is going to see if it removes her nail polish. Didn’t work but should have. Slight fruit maybe but not apricot. A touch of apricot can be found before chugging pink / brown nail polish. Massive. Disgusting. Painful. Garbage. No idea what went wrong but 3 peeps at my table had the same issue.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
BrewDad (4890) - Olympia, Washington, USA - DEC 16, 2010
Hair of the Dog – Portland, OR
Golden with a light orange hue hazy with a thin head. Slight apricot aroma. Hold on then you taste and holy shit it is like a apricot vinegar bomb went off in my mouth. Damn I am sorry HoTD this was something gone wrong? I needed some fish and chips for this. We still love you Alan.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BuckeyeBoy (2672) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 15, 2010
On tap at Hair of the Dog new location. Pours out a amber/copper topped with a ring of a head. Aroma was WOW and not in such a good way. Tons of white vinegar and sweet apricot. Taste was just the same talk about over the top. I was happy to try this but it needs some work.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - DEC 7, 2010
Apricot aroma and strong hot aggressive varnish sting. Sexy hazy caramel. Strong vinegar on the body, intense! Sipped slowly, didn’t dissipate for me. Some nail polish. I still want to try this again.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
waltersrj (280) - Washington, USA - NOV 26, 2010
Ok, I seriously love HOTD but this beer is intensely foul. The good parts come out with the last one or two sips. Nose is intense nail polish, very slight apricot, very slight French oak, balsamic vinegar, and possibly infection? Taste was intense nail polish, hardcore vinegar, lactic acid, and at the very last sip a nicely toasted apricot pit, apricot flesh, and super soured French oak. Mainly I’m disappointed because it was hard to down a 3 oz taster. Body was oily like normal Fred.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
boFNjackson (4124) - Portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 20, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2011 Tap @ Hair of the Dog during their 17th Anniversary Weekend Celebration... Poured amber/golden/dark orange with a thin, off-white head. Aroma smelled of balsamic vinegar, acetone and plump fruits. This was aggressive with acetone. Instantly cleared my sinuses, could feel stinging in my mouth. Nail polish remover, dijon spiciness. Once this all settled, the sweetness and ripe qualities of the apricot started to shine.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 20, 2010
Tap at the brewery. Pours an orange Fred-like color with no head. Does not have sediment in it like the Peach. Aroma is a complete blast to the senses. At first I think it might be the combination of intense oak and apricots but quickly realize it’s just nail polish remover. Intense, intense acetone. Uh oh. On to the taste. Initially sweet fruity flavor upfront leads quickly to a strong and surprising tartness that quickly turns supremely sour. Vinegar. Bad sourness, like throat burning, infected sour that feels slimy and slick on the palate. I love Hair of the Dog but this beer is a disaster.