overall

RATINGS: 815   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Blue Dot is named after our planet: we are only a pale blue dot in this universe. A Double India Pale Ale made with Organic Pilsner, Rye malt and a combination of intense northwest hop varieties.
O.G. 1074, 80 IBUs.

akaufman's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
akaufman (16) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 12, 2007
This was my favorite IPA at Hopfest in Seattle at the Brower’s bar. It was a week long festival and i think the blue dot keg was kicked the first day

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (250) - USA - APR 7, 2015
I’ve had some experience now with this brewer, and I want more. I expect to enjoy the heck out of this, so I make sure that the proper glassware is present and clean, crack the bottle and find a breath of grapefruit, pine and light apricot coming immediately from the open neck. These are traditional aromas from an IPA, and since the ABV is right on the edge between IPA and DIPA, I’m not expecting too much heady stickiness...just a bit of bitter and a slight malt balance. I am not disappointed as I pull the first sip; I find a bit of a jaw cracker bite, an almost lightweight body, and a hard, dry edge that runs the course of my gums and tongue. The apricot liquid in the glass is hazy, and is barely covered in a thin, almost disappointing head. I actually had to work at pouring a bit harder than normal so that I could even see what color the foam should be, had it occurred with a natural pour. Hell, it’s barely rising with an aggressive pour. I kind of enjoyed that bit of abuse, though, a little sadism never hurt anyone, so I’m not complaining too much. The foam is augmented with a deft, twirl of the fluid in the glass, although it’s heavy and wet, and not willing to stick. The finish is actually fairly short for as bitter as the brew is, and I am enjoying the rye malt addition quite nicely, but the carbonation is a bit on the flat side for me. I certainly don’t expect buzzy, but it does fall flatter than I enjoy. Not a bad brew, but not my favorite Imperial IPA. I’m going back to the brewer, but not this brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
George999 (211) - Colorado, USA - MAR 18, 2015
From the bottle the pour is cloudy and blond and a thick white head, the aroma is floral slightly sweet and it smells gently hoped with a little citrus, the taste is citrus and hops and a little sweet, the finish is slightly bitter and malty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DSG (7623) - Tel Aviv, - MAR 16, 2015
[2/24/15] Draught at Hair of the Dog in Portland. Muddy brownish orange. Aroma of citric and slightly piney hops. Flavor has mild sweetness, citric and piney hops, a bit “green”, and a bitterish finish. Medium-bodied. Nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TylerGreenDC (509) - - MAR 1, 2015
Draft. How is a 7.0% ABV beer a DIPA? Rating as an IPA. Some floral hop aroma. Cloudy copper color. Flavors of unfiltered apple cider, cinnamon or nutmeg, resin and maybe some bitter or toasted nuts along with some spice (the rye). A world-class IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beastwhite315 (20) - - MAR 1, 2015
Very grapefruit taste. Good balance between hop and malt. Better like grapefruit because it is very citrusy ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Luvystypotables (943) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 26, 2015
Aroma of citrus, floral and hops with a hint of pine resin. Pours a cloudy gold color with a short lasting white head. Taste of fermented fruit and hops with a dry chalky feel and mildy bitter fruit finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
nasmith003 (141) - Virginia, USA - FEB 26, 2015
citrus, hazy, golden, minimal head, medium sweetness, medium bitterness, medium body, creamy, bitter, soft carbonation,

tugboat_801 (23) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - FEB 13, 2015
Pretty great IPA, I’m getting some pretty sweet flavors, almost berry - ish I’m not sure if it’s because of something I just ate. Pretty cloudy appearance. Nice bitterness. Gonna let warm up a little and think more about it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PhilJackson80 (471) - Oklahoma, USA - FEB 11, 2015
22 oz bottle. Tasted on 2/11/15. Bottle from Holiday Wine Cellar. Pours to a cloudy hazy orange /yellow color. The aroma has citrus, grass, earthy notes to it. The taste has a balance of strong malt & some hop bitterness. As it warmed the flavor improved greatly. Overall a good beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RickTheRick (550) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 26, 2015
Nous ne sommes qu’un petit point bleu dans cet univers majestueux, mais il n’y a rien de minime avec cette Blue Dot, une DIPA concoctée par la brasserie Hair of the Dog Brewing, originaire de Portland en Oregon. Un mince film de mousse se sauve promptement d’une robe brunâtre à l’aspect marécageux qui laisse deviner une forte présence lupuline et de seigle. Le bouquet est parfaitement à point et combine la facette épicée du seigle et les cannonades résineuses des cultivars de houblons utilisés. L’amertume attaque le palais de plein fouet, mais s’esquive rapidement pour laisser la chance aux céréales d’étaler toutes leurs saveurs qui sont majoritairement épicées, mais également légèrement sucrées. Ce côté sucré coupe l’amertume un tantinet, les houblons en profitant donc pour prouver leur existence en dégageant des notes citronnées et gazonnées assez intenses. La texture collante et la carbonatation sont en excellente juxtaposition, et créent ainsi une bière si facile à boire.