RATINGS: 951   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Doggie Claws has a deep copper color and an intense hop character. I use Simcoe and Amarillo hops along with Organic Pilsner malt, British crystal and dark wild flower honey collected on Mt. Hood. The beer is ready to drink now but will improve with age. Happy Holidays from the curs at Hair of the Dog. - Alan Sprints, Brewmaster

Miguel's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Miguel (1181) - Saint-Ours, Quebec, - AUG 7, 2007
Edition 2006. Robe orange foncée voilée sans mousse. Arômes de caramel, de malt, de houblon floral et d’agrumes. Saveurs de caramel, de houblon floral, d’alcool, de houblon résineux et d’agrumes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HonusWagner (1793) - Florida, USA - SEP 10, 2015
2009 Vintage at Toronado SD, exceptionally well-preserved. American BW as hell. Somehow it’s still got an edge of piney hoppiness, and the sweetness from the honey is a bit much for me. I can respect why someone would love this beer, but to me it’s not nearly as compelling as a good bottle of Adam or even Fred.

ketchepillar (1181) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - SEP 8, 2015
On tap at HotD. Some people would call this a dipa, aside from the color which is normal bw color. However, that’s more about them failing to make a real dipa. This is a true west coast American BW. A little bit of date and booze in there in a nice way. Firmly bitter and hoppy all the way through.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
lusikka (7594) - Tampere, FINLAND - AUG 29, 2015
355 ml bottle. 2013 vintage. Pours a murky brown colour with a small foamy head. Very little carbonation. Aroma of sweet caramel malts, licorice and herbal spiciness. Flavour of smooth maltiness, toffee, licorice, wood and orange sweetness. Quite complex yeastiness. Alcohol is quite well hidden. Great. Needs a re-rate from fresh batch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (328) - USA - AUG 4, 2015
I loved Adam and I loved Fred, so I’m excited to try Doggie Claws tonight. It’s a bit warm for something as rich as a Barley Wine, so I’m glad that I have an excuse. It may rain and cool everything off tonight. That’s good enough for me. I set out my snifter and find the guitar that opens most of my bottles, and pry up the cap. No huge aroma from the neck, so I pour the first glass. The liquid is the color of dark caramel, almost no head at all, just a thin bubbly lacing that races across the surface and clings desperately to the inside of the glass. It’s clear and clean, and the aroma is starting to make itself clear as well. Firstly, this is hot...boozy. The aroma stings my nostrils as I breathe in the heady, thick scent; a burning incense of clover honey and ripe, honey soaked figs; a piney hops-infused bite adds so much to the sting. -- The first swallow is flat, though rich, and yes...very, very boozy. Tasty as hell, though, with the honey and hops both a predominant accent to the brew, a smoky vanilla caramel underlying the two and sticking to my tongue with such a tenacity! Each tilt of the glass coats my mouth with a cloying sweetness, drawing me back, swallow after swallow. -- The lack of any carbonation at all is distracting, but the rest of the beer is amazing. The finish is consistent, and warmer, in this case, is only better for the aroma and not the remainder of the experience. Because of the lack of action, I find it difficult to enjoy at higher temps, but right out of the cooler, it’s awesome. I’d probably try this again, because I wonder that there was absolutely no head and it’s so flat. Maybe the second time is a charm? (By the way...the time got away from me and I froze the last bit of my Doggie Claws. This shit, as an FYI, makes a phenomenal slushie.)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
GriffDaddy (95) - - JUN 12, 2015
I tried to like this, but it’s the last Hair of the Dog for me. Maybe this is the perfect example of this style, maybe this is the precisely what the brewers were trying to accomplish. I just don’t like it. Thick, sweet, honey on the nose followed by thick, sweet, honey on the palate. Thick, sweet taste with absolutely no carbonation at all to cut the thick and sweet. I defer to those with more sophisticated taste, I could not enjoy this at all. I gave it a year on a dark, temp stable shelf and won’t be back.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cosmo6644 (101) - Illinois, USA - JUN 3, 2015
Aroma of apples and other sweet fruits, taste is weak and thin, just not coming together that old, bottle 2013, would like to try a fresh bottle ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rosenbergh (8862) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAY 5, 2015
Draught at the Hair of the Dog, Portland, OR. 2014 vintage. Murky mid-brown colour with a creamy light tan head. Strong malty aroma with sweetness, hoppy bitterness and dark fruits. Balanced. Awesome flavour... A perfect balance of malty sweetness, hoppy bitterness and dark fruitiness. I'm in heaven... No! I'm in Portland. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Macegan75 (756) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 27, 2015
2013 Bottle from my cellar. Pours a light mahogany brown with a suspension appearance of tiny yeast particles. Nose is crystal malt, corn sugar, honey, and booze. Taste is similar with a sweet finish. Tastes like a good 2 year old Barleywine should.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
knickskicks (946) - - APR 25, 2015
2013. Copper pour. Nose is ash, rotten apricot, paper. Taste is ash, booze, and paper.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nocturne (1273) - Cheshire, ENGLAND - APR 19, 2015
Tap at Craftheads, Tokyo. Hazy reddish brown shade. Ring of head. Aroma has cherry, almond, caramel, a hint of chocolate and plenty of hop resinousness. Taste is a slight step down but still impressive, with a nice chewy texture. A tad underwhelming but still very good.