overall

RATINGS: 957   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Doggie Claws has a deep copper color and an intense hop character. I use Simcoe and Amarillo hops along with Organic Pilsner malt, British crystal and dark wild flower honey collected on Mt. Hood. The beer is ready to drink now but will improve with age. Happy Holidays from the curs at Hair of the Dog. - Alan Sprints, Brewmaster

hapjydeuce's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hapjydeuce (991) - Carlsbad, California, USA - JUL 7, 2012
Cant believe it took 4 years for me to get around to rating this. Bottled on numerous occasions. Current rating is a 2010 vintage (2 years old). Beautiful amber color with a frothy white head and plenty of lace. Aroma is caramel, clove, cinnamon, vanilla with the honey showing through. Flavor is still quite bitter with the age. Flavor is malty caramel with toffee and honey. Finishes quite dry with a lasting bitterness. Definitely a sipper that improves with age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
solidfunk (6482) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - JAN 9, 2016
Some thick caramelized malt and slight citrus. Pours hazy brown with ok head. Some tang and sweetness. Bottle shared at tasting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
poisoneddwarf (2091) - Rathdrum, Idaho, USA - JAN 4, 2016
12 oz bottle. 2015 vintage. Aroma is toffee, caramel, molasses, woody, lots of fruity esters--dark fruits, raspberry, lemon, raisin--woodsy hops, earth, alcohol, funk. Headless pour and a murky brown-orange hue with quite a bit of sediment floating around. Taste is bittersweet, savory, sherry-like, licorice, along with most of those aroma deScriptors. Carbonation is very low, texture is bordering on syrupy. Complex and soul-warming wintertime brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
alliance100 (1090) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - DEC 26, 2015
12oz bottle - 2014 vintage - pours a murky amber with almost no head . Aromas of molasses and dried fruit . Mostly sweet with hints of raisins and and mild bitter finish . ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jbuskirk (1027) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - NOV 24, 2015
Another aged brew from Gene aka Travler. I love Barleywines. I love the aggressively hopped ones even more. Thatís why I was concerned that the 3 years of aging that this bottle had undergone would be a detriment. I need not have worried. Doggie Claws still had plenty of resinous bitterness. There was a nice caramel malt backbone in place, but the hops were still dank with pine and grapefruit zest. Iíd love to compare this to a fresh batch but it was a great comfort to me that this brew managed to retain its hoppiness after so much time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
HuskerTan (1278) - Kearney, Nebraska, USA - NOV 21, 2015
(Thanks, Gene! "Travlr") A- Hoppy, pine, caramel. A- Copper color, hazy liquid, off white head. T- Pine, bitter, malty. P- Full body, average texture, average carbonation, bitter finish. O- I feel like I wasnít as enthused as I should have been after having my first HotD. Definitely more of a DIPA than a barleywine for me. Bottle was a 2012 so 3 years old and it was still a bitter bomb. It was alright.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BiiruBierBeer (815) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - NOV 14, 2015
Malt and mineral smell and taste. Not really impressed by this. Medium body, low carbonation, and mild foam.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HonusWagner (1914) - Florida, USA - SEP 10, 2015
2009 Vintage at Toronado SD, exceptionally well-preserved. American BW as hell. Somehow itís still got an edge of piney hoppiness, and the sweetness from the honey is a bit much for me. I can respect why someone would love this beer, but to me itís not nearly as compelling as a good bottle of Adam or even Fred.

ketchepillar (1184) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - SEP 8, 2015
On tap at HotD. Some people would call this a dipa, aside from the color which is normal bw color. However, thatís more about them failing to make a real dipa. This is a true west coast American BW. A little bit of date and booze in there in a nice way. Firmly bitter and hoppy all the way through.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
lusikka (7624) - Tampere, FINLAND - AUG 29, 2015
355 ml bottle. 2013 vintage. Pours a murky brown colour with a small foamy head. Very little carbonation. Aroma of sweet caramel malts, licorice and herbal spiciness. Flavour of smooth maltiness, toffee, licorice, wood and orange sweetness. Quite complex yeastiness. Alcohol is quite well hidden. Great. Needs a re-rate from fresh batch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (402) - USA - AUG 4, 2015
I loved Adam and I loved Fred, so Iím excited to try Doggie Claws tonight. Itís a bit warm for something as rich as a Barley Wine, so Iím glad that I have an excuse. It may rain and cool everything off tonight. Thatís good enough for me. I set out my snifter and find the guitar that opens most of my bottles, and pry up the cap. No huge aroma from the neck, so I pour the first glass. The liquid is the color of dark caramel, almost no head at all, just a thin bubbly lacing that races across the surface and clings desperately to the inside of the glass. Itís clear and clean, and the aroma is starting to make itself clear as well. Firstly, this is hot...boozy. The aroma stings my nostrils as I breathe in the heady, thick scent; a burning incense of clover honey and ripe, honey soaked figs; a piney hops-infused bite adds so much to the sting. -- The first swallow is flat, though rich, and yes...very, very boozy. Tasty as hell, though, with the honey and hops both a predominant accent to the brew, a smoky vanilla caramel underlying the two and sticking to my tongue with such a tenacity! Each tilt of the glass coats my mouth with a cloying sweetness, drawing me back, swallow after swallow. -- The lack of any carbonation at all is distracting, but the rest of the beer is amazing. The finish is consistent, and warmer, in this case, is only better for the aroma and not the remainder of the experience. Because of the lack of action, I find it difficult to enjoy at higher temps, but right out of the cooler, itís awesome. Iíd probably try this again, because I wonder that there was absolutely no head and itís so flat. Maybe the second time is a charm? (By the way...the time got away from me and I froze the last bit of my Doggie Claws. This shit, as an FYI, makes a phenomenal slushie.)