overall

RATINGS: 1386   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. Fred the beer is a deep golden color. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties in an effort to incorporate the whole world into this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
akinm (282) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 10, 2003
Talk about carbonated! This beer poured a cloudy golden with tons and tons of head. the white head stood firm for quite some time and left great lacing as i drank it. the aroma was yeasty and alcoholic, not kidding around here with the alcohol. there is plenty in there and it was not meant to be hidden. the flavor is very alcoholic and yeasty with a malty background. very full bodied and very warming due to the high strength of this beer. this one left me unable to drink anything else before dinner because i had to leave room for the food.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - FEB 2, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2003 Matly sweet aroma with an alcohol kick. Hazy orange/golden color with a huge white head. The flavor was not nearly as bitter as I had expected, but it was sweet. The malt really takes over here and provides an intense sweetness to compliment the ever-present alcohol taste. Smooth mouthfeel and a crisp, but wet finish. Completely different than the Hog Heaven barley wine I had yesterday. I guess the Barley Wine category is pretty wide open!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - FEB 2, 2003
Poured a cloudy golden color w/ an enormous head. Looks like an IPA. Sweet, yet hoppy on the tongue, w an absolutely smooth finish. I'm not sure why this is called a barleywine, it's more of a strong ale type of beer. Anyway, it's definitely a great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 31, 2003
This Barley wine had a cloudy dark pumpkin color with a nice white head. It has made it to the end of my glass. ChimayBabe hit it right...a distinct pineapple aroma. Also hops and a touch caramelized malts. Lots of hops in the flavor and a definite alcohol taste. I poured in the yeast and I can taste them. I can't wait to have another....I am recovering from a cold so my palate is a bit under-the-weather.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JAN 30, 2003
Not my type of barley wine. Maybe the parts (all the malts and hops) would separately add up to more than the whole? Agree with Chimaybabe on the pineapple aroma; it is unmistakable. This is a very bittersweet beer, like bitter light corn syrup. Extremely bitter, but without the usually concomitant hop flavors. Regarding the flavor, nothing more quickly pops into my head than instant tea. Now, I like tea OK, but it has no place in beer (that I know of), unlike coffee and chocolate. An atypical barley wine, no doubt, and I'll bet that those who like it like it alot, but it's not for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - JAN 30, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2004 Pineapple aroma. Hop flavor truly complex, went from a Cascade like beginning and rounded out to more than just grapefruit. Noted pine and orange among other fruity notes. Alcohol evident but not intrusive. Very good, one I will get again and again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fuchebu (146) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 30, 2003
the deep color and the fruity, spicy nose prepare one for a grand beer. The rye add nuances to the flavor. They also do a good job of getting a surprisingly strong hop finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - JAN 29, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2003 Batch44: Deep,dark,golden colored ale,with a huge,overcarbonated,froth,of a head. Killer lacework is left in patches. Aroma is complex(hops). Intense pine,grass,floral hop aromas with plenty of fruity malts,wood,and bread. Peppery yeast is very refreshing smelling. Mouthfeel is spritzy but the body is still thick. Sweet,bready malt flavors are underlying to the "10" hop varities in the beer.Granted this is fresh and not a bad thing.Toffeeish,hop-resin,spicy alcohol finish.Alcohol is hid well and acidity is little to none.Some fine beer coming from this place!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Racegoer (351) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - JAN 10, 2003
Thanks notalush !well its a Barley wine night , Bluegrass Bearded Pats Barleywine Style Ale , Then a Anchor Old Foghorn Ale, a 99 Fullers Vintage after this and then the prize a Victory Old Horizontal later on. I have already had Behemoth and wonder if any BW is better.Batch #42 here This one poured in to a picture ready for the cover of All About Beer. HUGE frothy head almost like a movie where Richard Dreyfuss is making something out of shaving cream.This is a foam that would have sunk the Titanic it lasts,lingers and billows.Superb lace,poured it 14 minutes ago and I am still waiting for it to subside.Deep golden amber, smells of tropical fruits, and it is absolutley teasing me waiting for the head to ease.Awesome rich full bodied, gorgeous palate.fruity yeast abounds. candy sweetness, resiny,roses, some sherry and washington apples a truly refined beer,Quality resonates here, a superb choice and ultimately Recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 7, 2003
Lots of alcohol, yeast, fruit, and hops. Sweet like honey. Fantastic. Unfortunately, I’m a klutz and I knocked over the glass when it was only half way through - I’ll have to find another one soon so my husband will talk to me again.