RATINGS: 547   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Rose is named for Portland, Oregon, the Rose City. Originally called Golden Rose, this Beer started life as a straight forward Belgian Tripel and evolved into a Beer made with beets, hibiscus flowers and pink peppercorns. She has always been inspired by the Belgian style known as Tripel, which has a low level hops and is deceivingly light in body for its alcohol strength. This is achieved through the use of imported Belgian candi sugar. Not Brewed since 2005.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - JUL 7, 2002
What am I doing? Iíve been performing a classic male behavior - trying to wait out a heat wave w/o resorting to air conditioning, and the past 2 days I drink Kasteel Biere du Chateau, and now this? The label says Belgian Tripel Style Ale. I would call it more of an Abbey Dubbel myself. Earthy, almost dirty aroma w. chocolate in the background. Chunks of sediment came out of the bottle before I saw it - sits on the bottom like turds. Cloudy reddish-brown color. Flavor is good - raisins, chocolate, some maltiness, anise, honey. Finishes sweet-tart though the beer is predominantly sweet, throughout. Batch #29. I drank it too fast, didnít let it warm much from fridge. Quality brew, though I prefer my yeast sediment to be granules not turds - have to avoid gulping them down...oh well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - JUL 1, 2002
I really enjoyed this brew. Great head, cloudy, light carbonation and great flavors.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jazz88 (2669) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 27, 2002
Bottle from batch 28. Dark ruby color and complex and sweet flavor. The aroma fills your nose when you tip the glass back. I grew slighly less interested in the beer as I drank more of it, but the first few sips were fantastic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jaymobrown (1843) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Batch #20. Sweet, and robust. Dark color. A fruit, dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUN 3, 2002
Thatís funny, itís just plain old íRoseí on my bottle, not íGolden Roseí, but itís a Belgian Triple and the HoTD web site refers to it as Rose, so thatís good enough for me. Gorgeous appearance, the head is huge and sloshes around nicely as you pour. Floral and tart aroma. The taste kind of reminds me of a homebrew that a buddy and I made of a Belgian Triple, except we added more sugar and hopped the shit out of ours, whereas this is better balanced (ours was like 12% alcohol).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JPDIPSO (5673) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 3, 2002
More of a cross between a triple and a golden ale. Decent floral hop aroma. Flavors of apricots, light candi and honey. Finish is slightly tart and sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Oakes (15806) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 31, 2002
Downgraded following a recent re-sample, this lacked the smooth floweriness I used to find - still decent but no more a classic.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ernest (7364) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAY 30, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2006 Batch 38. Head is initially average sized, frothy, off-white, mostly lasting. Body is murky orange, dense particles of all sizes, bottle conditioned. Aroma is lightly malty (cookie, bread), lightly hoppy (herbs), moderately yeasty (dough), with a note of alcohol. Flavor is heavily sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, velvety texture, lively carbonation, moderately alcoholic. One of my consistently least favorite HotD beers...I donít think Iíve ever had a Rose I liked, fresh or aged.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - MAY 29, 2002
Batch #20. Vinous nose with strong alcohol presence. Nearly no carbonation--this bottle has been sitting around for a while--reddish brown body. Flavor is a well-rounded sweetness, with some doughy malt flavors mixed with fruits. Tastes more like a good old ale than a Tripel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 25, 2002
A lovely and inviting unfiltered apple cider color and a sweet spicy aroma that also seemed to have a little cider in it. The flavor is smooth, gentle, with a mildly fruity background and a subtle power. It finishes slow and dry, clean. Lovely.