overall

RATINGS: 144   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Possessing a delicate balance of malt and hop flavors and embellished by the distinctive fruitiness of our special ale yeast, Hale's Pale Ale is flavorful and easy to drink.

Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - APR 25, 2002
I enjoyed this pale more than several others. I felt that the hops while dominating were not overwhelming and too bitter. I would enjoy a session with this brew if I lived in the NW.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - APR 25, 2002
Moderately clear light amber. Thin bubbly off white head. Light carbonation. Pale malt aroma, light sweetness and a floral/citric hop mix. Crisp and immediately well balanced. Toasty malts, citric hops. Light bodied, a little thin. Light grape fruitiness. Finishes floral and a bit more hoppy, but not American Pale Ale hoppy, just hoppy. Nicely balanced and easy drinking but merely above average.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - APR 14, 2002
Nice head and hoppy/fruity nose. I was anxious to try it before it arrived from my micro-club and I was lucky I did, because I got 4 Drawbridge Blondes instead of 2 pales/2 blondes. A nice pale, but not the standard setting example that it boasts (or that I expected)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
NWHopHead99 (58) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - APR 2, 2002
Strong sweet subtle aroma, and LOTS of head. Maybe I got a different batch than Gusler, but my head is STILL an inch high, and it’s been about 4 minutes. Not very translucent, dark amber color, creamy froth on top. Somewhat thin in the maltiness department, but has a couple of conflicting flavors that are fairly decent, but get less paletable as the beer warms up. Make sure to keep this one fairly cold. A decent pale, not my favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 30, 2002
UPDATED: APR 13, 2003 A long time favorite along with Pike Brewing from the Northwest is Hales Ales, and thanks to my new source, Liquid Solutions, I can now once again enjoy these fine beers.

The beer as it sets in the glass a golden amber color, crystal clear with a modest head the is frothy in texture, off white in color but dissipates a bit quick for my liking, the resultant lace a thin sheet. Nose is hop floral, malt sweet, and citrus crisp and quite pleasant to the senses. Start is malt laden, sweet and the top middling in feel with the finish delightfully carbonated, the hops personable in their spicy presence, dry and a real treat and what a wonderful session beer it would make, you lucky “Ducks”, Oh That’s Oregon Ducks! well hell then you lucky “Huskies”!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ttboy8099 (73) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - FEB 9, 2002
Good beer with a good taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BillKismet (3291) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 17, 2002
This beer had the nice, pungent hop aroma characteristic of many of Hales other offerings, but its body lacked the crispness. This beer, maybe my least favorite Hales ale, would be a decent selection coming from most other breweries.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
amceachern99 (70) - Albany, Oregon, USA - OCT 15, 2001
Much better on draft than in the bottle. Great Color.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
fraternie (806) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2001
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2012 Light golden body, medium caramel/fruit malt and a strong hop presence. Bitterness quickly disappears. EXCELLENT balance. Could be a perfect beer if the malt was a little more flavorful.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ntempleton (3) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 5, 2001 does not count
Could use a bit more mouthfeel, and hop flavor, but over all a wonderful beer.