overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 159   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
In December 1985 Hale’s Wee Heavy became the Northwest’s first designated “seasonal” ale. It is an award winning strong ale that is a perfect match for the cold weather months. Mahoghany colored and rich tasting, with an intriguing hop profile. 7.2% ABV 24 IBUs Malts: 2-Row Pale ~ Crystal 60L & 120L ~ Red Wheat ~ Special B ~ Aromatic ~ Smoked Barley Hops: Bravo ~ Centennial ~ Willamette ~ Sterling Original Gravity: 18° Plato

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Crit (3561) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 4, 2002
Some years great some merely good. Cloudy brown, lasting tan head.Good malty faintly spiced nose.Lightly spiced malt flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - DEC 1, 2002
Portlandrunk and I shared a pithcer of this over Thanksgiving and it settled much better than the "Dublin Stout" we had just before. Very malty, I thought it may have been a Scottish Ale but we agreed it was a bock. Very good attempt at a winter beer for all the maltiness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 30, 2002
I felt this was more of a bock than a scottish ale. Lots of spices and fruit flavors in the palate. Quite a fun beer to try, just not anything exceptional. For what it is, it was good, but doesn’t compare to other winter ales. Not this brewery’s finest.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - NOV 24, 2002
Malty aroma with hints of roasted malt and caramel. Nice mouthfeel. Finishes malty. One of Hales’ finest.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 23, 2002
When I drank this beer I remember thinking that if a brown ale and a strong ale had a baby it would be the Wee Bit Heavy. Maybe I was just already a few beers into the night but I found it amusing to ask for a Wee Heavy at the bar. Anyway, I’m rambling, so just give it a try and decide for yourself.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - NOV 22, 2002
Nice and dark color. Strong malty aroma. This beer didn’t tickle my fancy in the beginning but I caught myself liking it the more I drank. Cheers to Hales.

beerguy101 (5338) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Dark red color, small head, malty aroma. Very malty, smooth taste, some hoppyness, nice malt sweetness somewhat fruity. Nice balance of hops and malts. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is malty, no bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - MAY 24, 2002
Had it in may on tap but still very good. beautifully clear and dark. Nic eand spicey aroma. Malty, fruity, candy like. Wonderful lingering bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - MAY 23, 2002
very well done. Full flavored, malty, rich deep color, and flavor. Finishes very nice with a good bite. Doesn’t remind me much of a scottish though, I must say. But what the hell do I care. It’s outstanding.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrotherBeer (13) - Colfax, Washington, USA - MAR 17, 2002
Deep amber color. Almost zero head. Sweat taste, great cloudiness to go with that bold slide down your throat. Pretty good holiday beer.